Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a delay in WIN10 boot up recently

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cm4coc

cm4coc

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

I'm running WIN10 Pro 1709 and sometime recently I noticed boot times have gone up.  At boot up after the POST screen and the little windows 10 boot logo pops on the screen the system sits there for around 30 seconds without any disk activity.  After that the SDD starts working and I'm at the desktop in another 20 seconds.  This long delay was never there before and used to take around 20-25 seconds from POST to desktop.  I tried booting with the boot log option from msconfig enabled but there's no time stamp on the boot steps in the log so pretty useless.  Is there any way to determine what's hanging at the beginning of the boot cycle for 30 seconds?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

If your issue is a 30 second delay in boot time, I would find something else to worry about. Turn on the computer, pour a cup of coffee, and then go back to it. This is NOT an issue :)

#3 cm4coc

cm4coc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

Yeah it's not the end of the world but I find myself having to reboot much more often recently due to some GPU clocking issues and it's annoying when you're used to under 30 second boot times.  Just seems crazy there's no log available that shows exactly what's happening during boot up process with a timestamp.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

do you have a cd/dvd in the drive that getting looked at first.  this will delay boot times.

#5 cm4coc

cm4coc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

I did check that and nope nothing in there

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

What antivirus are you running?

Do you know if the antivirus is scheduled to run a scan upon startup?

Open the Task Manager, click/tap on the Startup tab to view the startup list.

Either use the Snipping Tool or make a screenshot to create a image of the startup items and post the image in your topic.

If you use the Snipping Tool you can use the same method below to post the image in your topic.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

Press the Print Screen to capture its image.

Open Paint and click/tap on Paste

Click/tap on File and select Save as, add a name for the file.

How to post an image in your topic

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cm4coc

cm4coc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

I'm using Windows Defender for AV and there's no startup scan scheduled.  I tried disabling all the startup items listed in the task manager startup tab and didn't make any difference.  Again right after POST at the windows icon there is 30 seconds of absolutely no drive activity like it's stuck at the very beginning of loading the OS.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

Please run the two scans listed below.

Please run chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r or /f you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type chkdsk /f.

m9vxVa7.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

This will automatically start the chkdsk /f scan.

As the scan runs you will see a running percentage of the scan at the bottom of the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

m9vxVa7.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

That seems to be a driver issue. have you tried to update your drivers?

It happens that after a windows update, some drivers are no longuer fully compatible with that version, and hence need to be updated.

Try updating your drivers. If it doesn't work you can take a boot trace with Windows Performance Toolkit to see exactly what's happening during the different boot phases;

- Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.

- Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: https://justpaste.it/1g4sx

- Compress the resulting file

- Share it through https://www.transfernow.net/en/ or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you…

#10 cm4coc

cm4coc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

dc3,  I ran the chkdsk and not sure if it found any errors because it needed to reboot and do the scan during the boot up process and didn't give me a status at the end.

The sfc scan came back with the message 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.'  so I attached the CBS log.  Boot up is still long afterwards though.

zinou,  I did update my video card drivers but don't have any other driver updates available.  I ran the boot trace with windows ADK but from the results it seems it doesn't record the 30 second delay in the beginning.  At least it's not part of the pre session init which is only a couple seconds long.  See the screen shot attached and if you think the 700MB log would still be useful let me know and I can upload and share it.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by cm4coc, 25 January 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#11 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:05 AM

Very strange. If the delay occurs just after the Win 10 log shows up, that delay should be reported in the boot trace ! Unless the delay occurs before the OS is loaded by the boot loader !

Do you have a dual OS boot ? have you another OS in your machine ? that can produce delays also

#12 tvshub

tvshub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

Might be the Spectre/Meltdown patch causing it. Check BIOS version and also any Firmware updates of late.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

I asked you to run sfc /scannow and post the log for this scan.  Where is it?

Please open the Command Prompt as an administrator and do the following.

PLrbrFc.png

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Edited by dc3, 26 January 2018 - 09:01 AM.

#14 cm4coc

cm4coc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Very strange. If the delay occurs just after the Win 10 log shows up, that delay should be reported in the boot trace ! Unless the delay occurs before the OS is loaded by the boot loader !

Do you have a dual OS boot ? have you another OS in your machine ? that can produce delays also

No other OS is installed just WIN10 Pro on this partition.

Might be the Spectre/Meltdown patch causing it. Check BIOS version and also any Firmware updates of late.

That is a possibility.  I can't remember if the delay started before installing the MS Meltdown/Spectre patch or not.  No BIOS updates available for my motherboard.  It's almost 5 years old now so doubtful they will release one.

I asked you to run sfc /scannow and post the log for this scan.  Where is it?

Please open the Command Prompt as an administrator and do the following.

PLrbrFc.png

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

I did attach the log to my post above in the CBS.zip file

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users