Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 freezes up when trying to do an update

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

I have a pc that I use as a backup in case my main pc has a problem. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 that was on the pc originally. I don't use the pc much at all but I do start it every couple of weeks to let it get updates from Microsoft and from Trend Micro.

Lately (for the last month) I have been having some real problems with updates from Microsoft. Today it started doing a update and the screen said that it may take awhile and the computer will restart many times.I was watching the update in progress and the pc did restart a few times but then I looked at it a few minutes later it the monitor was black. The pc still showed that it was on but nothing on the screen. I waited for 20 minutes or so --still nothing. So I hit the pc reset button and the screen lit up and showed that it was updating again 31%--when it got to 81% the circle that goes around (showing that it is working) stopped going around. I had to hit the reset button again. After that the screen said that it was "restoring your previous version of windows.

When I looked at the "updates available" page in the pc it said that an update was available --I downloaded the update. But when I saw that the downloaded update was version 1709 it rang a bell in my brain. So I looked up a note that I had made on 1.1.18 and I found that same number (1709) was what I was having a problem with back on 1.1.18 So I guess that my pc has been trying to install this update since (as best I can tell) 1.1.2018 And the update just keeps failing to install!!!

The update is called--

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709)  

I just tried installing it again and I noticed that when it gets near the end of the install it freezes up and stops working.

I found this website  and I did the following:   https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-fall-creators-update-common-installation-problems-and-fixes#fix_blackscreen_install

Then I performed the solution outlined below---still having the same problem!

How to fix black screen with loading animation preventing the upgrade About this problem

During the upgrade process to the new version of Windows 10, the installation starts, and after the device reboots, some users are getting a black screen with loading animation, and the installation never completes.

Solution

Usually, this problem happens because of a conflict with one of the peripherals connected to the device.

If it's been more than 30 minutes or one hour, you can try pressing the Power button for five to ten seconds to perform a hard shutdown. Then you can try to fix this problem by disconnecting all the peripherals connected to your device, including external storage, printers, camera, phone, USB receivers for mouse and keyboard, etc.

Finally, Power on your computer again, and see if upgrade resumes and completes the installation. In the case your device goes back to the previous version, try again one more time, but this time with all peripherals disconnected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoserGamer

LoserGamer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:02 AM

This happened to me too but I fixed it. Most likely you do not have enough System Reserve space on your hard drive. You need at least 550 MB to be safe. I had like 200 or something and it kept doing what yours did. I downloaded Minitool  partition wizard free and stretched out the reserve to 550mb.  https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

And its fixed. Go to your hard drive and see how much space is on system reserve. I bet its under 500mb.

Windows goes thru a large bit up the update and then looks at the system reserve near the end and if not enough space it reverses the process and never tells you why.

Edited by LoserGamer, 24 January 2018 - 04:04 AM.

#3 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

This happened to me too but I fixed it. Most likely you do not have enough System Reserve space on your hard drive. You need at least 550 MB to be safe. I had like 200 or something and it kept doing what yours did. I downloaded Minitool  partition wizard free and stretched out the reserve to 550mb.  https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

And its fixed. Go to your hard drive and see how much space is on system reserve. I bet its under 500mb.

Windows goes thru a large bit up the update and then looks at the system reserve near the end and if not enough space it reverses the process and never tells you why.

Well, I may have really messed up. I downloaded  Minitool Partition Wizard--then looked at the tutorials--then I thought that I was increasing the size of the System Reserve. After I did that I was asked to restart the pc which I did. When it restarted I got message #1 and after that I got message #2 It got into a continuous non ending loop until I manually shut it down. I went into safe mode to see if I could undo the changes that I made to the system reserve but I was not able to see how to do that even going back to the tutorials. I tried to see if I could go back to another restore point in safe mode but a message came up that said there were no restore points (I thought that windows automatically made some restores points from time to time???)

Anyway, unless someone has a better idea I guess I need to call the company that make the partition wizard! 

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

I think your best option at this point, especially because this was an upgrade from Windows 7 is to do a complete clean reinstall after recovering any personal data. Unfortunately you would need to reinstall all your programs. 

See this post for instruction on the clean install.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

You can recover your data either using a live linux disk or removing the drive and connecting to another computer using a USB adapter.

#5 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

I think your best option at this point, especially because this was an upgrade from Windows 7 is to do a complete clean reinstall after recovering any personal data. Unfortunately you would need to reinstall all your programs. 

See this post for instruction on the clean install.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

You can recover your data either using a live linux disk or removing the drive and connecting to another computer using a USB adapter.

There is really nothing on this pc that isn't on my main pc or a backup hard drive so I am not really worried about any recovery. I just need to have a backup pc in case my main pc takes a dive!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Go through the link I posted. You will need to determine if your computer is UEFI or Legacy BIOS as this is a Windows 7 computer. 

You may be able to access a command prompt using the following method.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

From the command prompt type

diskpart

list disk

If there is an asterisk under the GPT column you have a UEFI computer.

#7 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

Go through the link I posted. You will need to determine if your computer is UEFI or Legacy BIOS as this is a Windows 7 computer. 

You may be able to access a command prompt using the following method.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

From the command prompt type

diskpart

list disk

If there is an asterisk under the GPT column you have a UEFI computer.

I may have jumped the gun. I just now turned on the pc and it booted up okay and is working okay. When I first did the system reserve size increase with Minitool  partition wizard I couldn't make the size what I wanted (which was to be 550 Mb) so I made it as small as I could within the Minitool  partition wizard software (it made the size 1.6 Gb) So just now I reduced the size to 550Mb which is what I wanted in the first place (I first did a restore point just in case). It has reduced the size to 550Mb and it has rebooted okay and it is working okay.  

Of course I have NOT solved the original problem which was not being able to install  Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709)  

I was wondering about what  LoserGamer said about my pc not having enough space for the install. My main pc has performed the install of  Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709)  and it only has 100Mb of space in System Reserve!

I can't spend the time tonight to see if the install will be okay so it will have to wait until this weekend.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

Was the other computer also Windows 7. The reason I ask is because a 100MB System Reserved Partition is for an MBR disk, not GPT. The partition structure on a GPT disk is different. It has a FAT32 EFI partition.

When you open Disk Management on the problematic computer do you see a FAT32 EFI partition? It would help if you post a screenshot of Disk Management.

You may need to do a clean install anyway to get 1709 which is provided when you create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool.

#9 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

Was the other computer also Windows 7. The reason I ask is because a 100MB System Reserved Partition is for an MBR disk, not GPT. The partition structure on a GPT disk is different. It has a FAT32 EFI partition.

When you open Disk Management on the problematic computer do you see a FAT32 EFI partition? It would help if you post a screenshot of Disk Management.

You may need to do a clean install anyway to get 1709 which is provided when you create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool.

First pix is problematic computer (backup2)---second pix is my main pc.

Can I do a clean install if the windows 10 was an upgrade online and not from a disc?

Attached Files

Edited by fred93, 24 January 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Okay, both computers are using a MBR partition table, not GPT so in the instructions of the clean install post you would use the convert MBR command and not convert GPT.   Doing the convert MBR command may result in an error. If it does just ignore it.

The Main computer has a strange partition setup. Your Boot partition, the one marked Active is on one disk and your Windows partition is on another. Normally these are on the same disk.

Because the Windows 7 computer was upgraded to Windows 10 the license is digital and saved on Microsoft servers. You can do a clean install with a Windows 10 DVD or USB flash drive created with the Media Creation Tool and the OS will activate once online.

Following the clean install guide Windows 10 will automatically partition and format the required partitions. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#11 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Okay, both computers are using a MBR partition table, not GPT so in the instructions of the clean install post you would use the convert MBR command and not convert GPT.   Doing the convert MBR command may result in an error. If it does just ignore it.

The Main computer has a strange partition setup. Your Boot partition, the one marked Active is on one disk and your Windows partition is on another. Normally these are on the same disk.

Because the Windows 7 computer was upgraded to Windows 10 the license is digital and saved on Microsoft servers. You can do a clean install with a Windows 10 DVD or USB flash drive created with the Media Creation Tool and the OS will activate once online.

Following the clean install guide Windows 10 will automatically partition and format the required partitions. 

Okay--so I will get into this hopefully on the weekend. I have enough going on between now and then. When I do get into it I know that I will have questions so you will most likely be hearing from me again.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

If I don't respond throw me a PM. Thanks.

#13 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

If I don't respond throw me a PM. Thanks.

Will do--thanks

#14 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

I was thinking my way through the clean install process for windows 10 that you mentioned in your answer to my post.

#1---How does Microsoft know that I have a legitimate copy on windows 10 on my pc?

#2---I looked at the properties for "this pc" and it says windows is not activated--also is says product ID is not available??

#3---when I bought this pc in Oct 2012 it had Windows 7 and I have the key code for that OS --it was already installed on the pc when I got it.--Then last year (I believe) I upgraded to Windows 10 while it was still free (probably just before MS stopped offering for free) I thought that I had done everything that I needed to do at the time (like activating it etc) So why would it not be activated--my main pc is activated and it has a ID number??

#4--Will I need a product ID when I try to do a clean install?

#5---the product that britechguy mentioned in his post "Rufus" sounds like something that I will need to download. 

#6---do I need to download Rufus to my good pc (my main pc)?

#7---do I also need to download MCT to my main pc?

#8--what do I download to the backup2 pc (the problem pc)?

At this point I have not done anything yet---waiting for your reply--BTW the backup2 pc seems to be working okay but I think that I am going to turn off "auto updates" so that it doesn't start that loop again!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

#1. Any computer upgraded from a previous OS has a digital entitlement license stored on Microsoft servers with your hardware ID. A reinstall will auto active when online.

#2. That is a problem. If the computer shows as not activated then Windows 10 will remain unactivated when reinstalled. Windows 10 should have activated during the upgrade.

#3. I don't know. I would call Microsoft at Call (888) 571-2048 and wait for a live person. The way Microsoft wants everybody on 10 they may activate your computer when you explain when the upgrade took place. I would do this first before attempting a reinstall.

#4  Once the computer is activated by Microsoft (#3) you will not need a product ID to install.

#5  That is the software to create a bootable USB flash drive from the iso. You can download it here.

#6  Yes, download Rufus on your good PC. 

#7  Yes, the Media Creation Tool is downloaded and run on the good PC. Use it to download the iso per Brian's instructions then Rufus to create the bootable USB

#8  Nothing. Everything is done on the good PC to get a bootable USB flash drive of Windows 10 install media.

Again. Call Microsoft first. Explain when you updated from 7 to 10  and for some reason the computer does not show as activated. Get the backup PC activated first before doing the clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users