Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Browser Extension?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

I recently came across this for Mozilla Firefox. It's a free web extension which protects you from malware, scams, clickbait, and it also has advertising/tracker protection built-in. I haven't seen any articles (or resources) about this.

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks. :)

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

Malwarebytes Extension for Firefox

At Malwarebytes, we are constantly trying to improve our customer’s protection from digital threats and one of the better location in the system was the browser.

We were trying to set-up the Firefox extension so that we can start the internal Beta of this technology. The early availability, although unintended, still contains a lot of kinks to iron out as it is an early Beta and was meant for Malwarebytes employees only. However, since the cat is out of the bag, we encourage you to try it and do give us feedback.

What about other browsers? Yes we will be trying to support others, but we are still deep in development.

Our apologies for this hiccup, and please bear with us while we tune and tweak this product to release quality.

Malwarebytes Extension for Firefox

Legitimate, yes. It is just not being publicized. Note it is marked as experimental.

Another topic here.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

ramifications for Firefox on Linux ?

Installed on Firefox....Linux Mint 18.3

MBAM.png

Edited by Condobloke, 23 January 2018 - 09:54 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

I have installed the Malwarebytes web extension (add on), and at the same time I have disabled adblock plus.

It is very early days yet....but....so far I am not noticing any intrusive adds on the pages I frequently visit

As to its ability to ""Detect and protect against malware, scams, and deceptive advertising on the web""....only time will tell. Malwarebytes reputation is hard earned and well deserved.

It is compatible with Firefox 57+ , and has 1179 installs so far (todays date)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Cool it appears to be something like Fox Web Security. :) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fox-web-security/?src=userprofile

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

Except that fox web is not compatible with firefox quantum(57) and appears to have different aims...Protection from adult content (parental control) and from dangerous sites.Entrust protection for yourself and your children to professionals.

.....as opposed to malwarebytes aim of Detects and protects against malware, scams, and deceptive advertising on the web

So...no comparison really

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

Looks interesting. I will try it out soon.
Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#8 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Would be interested in seeing how it compares to:

Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/trafficlight/

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

Just tried it out and I'm liking this already. :)

#10 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

It is noted as experimental but I haven't noticed any bugs or kinks with it. Everything appears to be working as it should be.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

Ditto the above comment ....working peacefully. No hiccups. The fact that adds etc are still failing to appear gives me some confidence that the rest of its aims are functioning as well.

I am also sending feedback to malwarebytes.com

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

Just received this warning from malwarebytes add on.....

mbam_add_on.png

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

mbam_add_on.png

Huh I guess some people must've ran into clickbait on BC. I suppose it could be a false flag also. The latter being more likely.

#14 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

mbam_add_on.png

Huh I guess some people must've ran into clickbait on BC. I suppose it could be a false flag also. The latter being more likely.

Most likely a false positive. Condobloke, would it be possible for you to report it as a false positive?

Edited by iMacg3, 25 January 2018 - 08:48 PM.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

Already done....yesterday.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users