Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung J510 OTA update to Android Nougat - safe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

I was offered a OTA update on my Samsung J5 (2016 model) that will upgrade the OS from Android Marshmallow to Android Nougat.

As phones don't have restore points, how much of a risk is it to install the update? Are there any kind of statistics on the percentage of people that this went well for vs. those that had issues? Is there any recourse if the update ruins something in the phone or causes problems? And is there anything else that I should know about before updating?

My question is about the apps (all updated to the latest version through Google Play) and the general user experience. I will be backing up all my files before the update so I'm not asking about that.

Thank you in advance to whoever has insights on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

In my experience all major OS updates have their fair share of "bad experiences". Nougat has been around for about a year and a half so it's likely polished at this point and shouldn't pose any serious setbacks. As far as I knew, OS updates should have no affect on your apps and this is taken right from Androids site to confirm that.

OTA updates are designed to upgrade the underlying operating system and the read-only apps installed on the system partition; these updates do not affect applications installed by the user from Google Play. 

Edited by C0bra, 25 January 2018 - 08:16 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic