Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to get a laptop computer for my husbands Union

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maeflye63

maeflye63

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

They need a laptop for all their paper work that is still done by hand in our small town. It will probably have to be Windows OS since that is what most people know. Can't have anything connect to the cloud unless safe sending files to other unions and headquarters. Need usb ports, for regular mouse and to have an external hard-drive storage of important files.  Something that will last for a while. 

Is Microsoft Windows Office pro the only one that is good? I know I have used office a lot. Love Publisher and Excel. Is there something better? Do you think they need quick books. They do have money in and out. Usually donations and scholarships.  Trying to keep it around $500.00 but don't know.

There are so many laptops out there. So much software.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Smiles  :rolleyes:​

Maeflye63 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

Investigate the Dell site, they have refurbished lap tops with decent warranties and an operating system, a hard drive and drive enclosure can be found on Ebay both of which are fairly cheap.  For an enclosure I like the Rosewill's that have a cooling fan, important for hard drive life.  For storage a standard drive would be fine and now are very reasonable.  I think you will easily meet your goal!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Where, in the US?

What is their Storage Total?

I did a job for a small business recently and they only had about 1.5GB of Files.  In this case it was fine to get them a good USB Flash Drive.  For a Laptop transferring small documents I like the Lexar Twist USB's.  They will fix side by side if needed in the laptop USB Ports.  If transferring bigger files then a 3.0 Drive in a 3.0 Port would be better, but then you will need to find some that fit side by side if needed.  This may not be needed, but I do need this so it is why I always mention it.

Connecting to the Cloud is an option, not required.

I prefer Intel i3 or better.  You may get better bang for you buck with a AMD Hardware.

If it were me would make sure it has Four USB Ports, but most these days have Three.

I like Dell and HP the most, and don't have a problem buying from my local Bestbuy or Office Depot.

I would get something with at lest 6GB of RAM but the trend is 8GB so that would be good/better anyhow.

I don't care for Touch Screen, but sometimes that is all they have on sale.

You should consider Size also, some folks have poor eyesight and would benefit from a bigger screen, like 17" but that is more money.  You could get one for 500.00 but will need to look for a sale to get good hardware with it.

Something like this DELL would be fine.

Or this more powerful DELL and has many happy customers, try to stick with one that has many favorable reviews if possible.

HP - 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop

HP Laptop, 17.3" Screen

Of course there are many places to buy.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users