Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor at 1.8GHz

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eeps24

eeps24

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

I am looking at a laptop that has the following CPU. (I want to buy it for gaming, GTA V)

Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor at 1.8GHz.  I read some reviews about this cpu..what confuses me is when they talk about clock speed, core, etc :scratchhead:.   Can this cpu do more than 1.8GHz?

The recommdenation to play GTA is Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs).  The CPU I am looking at is a corei7 8th gen but only 1.8GHz.  Wouldnt this be considered better since its a higher core and better generation than the recommdended one.

https://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-17t-17-u273cl-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100378008.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

If you look at the specs you will find that it has a turbo mode of up to 4.0 Ghz. https://ark.intel.com/products/122589/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

The 1.8 Ghz speed can be considered a "guaranteed" all core speed it should be able to run at indefinitely at the standard 15w TDP (as long as the cooling system is in good shape).  4 Ghz is likely to be a single core turbo speed that can be run for a short period.  For example, when you open a large application, there is a period of high CPU activity as the program loads and initialises.  This is a situation where, battery power permitting, you might see the processor turbo up to near full speed before slowing down once the CPU use settles down again.

With these laptop CPU's it's not obvious what the actual performance will be because it depends on the laptops cooling ability, and the way it's been set up by the manufacturer.  Simply, they are thermally limited.  The manufacturers can set short and long term TDP limits, and have the option to increase or decrease the TDP limit to modify performance.  Typically larger laptops which can incorporate better cooling, should be able to run faster than an ultra small laptop, all other things being equal (even using the same processor).  Some more comments on this processor here - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.242108.0.html

They sum it up as "In our usual benchmarks, the average i7-8550U is as fast as the 35 Watt rated Core i5-7440HQ" - so yes it should be able to run GTA V acceptably.  That CPU matches or beats the much older i5-3470.

Also of major importance for gaming on a laptop is the GPU.  The one you linked to uses a Geforce MX150 GPU, which is a mobile equivalent of a GT1030.  It's quite efficient but really should be considered entry level as far as gaming GPU's go. It should be able to play GTA V on medium or lower detail settings.  https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html

Edited by jonuk76, 24 January 2018 - 03:02 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 eeps24

eeps24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

thank you great break down.... so basically it can go up to 4 GHz but based on certain conditions, and I wouldnt have control over those conditions.  Pretty much the laptop would throttle the speed as needed. If that is the case then this laptop is not for me.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Basically yes.  I think the i7-8550U puts in great performance for such a low power chip.  But to get the higher base clock speeds you'd need to look at the high performance models like the i7-7700HQ.  These use a lot more power (TDP normally set at 45w) and so suit larger, heavier and usually more expensive laptops.

7sbvuf-6.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users