Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 user thoughts!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

I have been reading the 10 forums since they first threatened us with 10, I can not put to words how glad I am that I did not take the bait.  Many of those that did take the bait now have the hook deeply set in their lips, for quite a few not a great experience!  Many young folks are now bald from pulling their hair out!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

Phil,

Or not.   I know users many users who've stepped up to 10 from 7, 8, and 8.1 who are thrilled with 10.   I can't say I'm thrilled (I've never been thrilled by any OS) but Windows 10 is a vast improvement over Windows 8/8.1 and brings back virtually everything from Windows 7 that should never have left in the first place.

I'm seeing very little "buyer's remorse" on the whole.

One certainly can't use technical support forums (of any kind, not just computer-related) as a metric of satisfaction with anything.  One of the primary purposes of said venues is to offer assistance to people having issues, and people having issues know that.  No one comes to a place like this on a routine basis to report all is going smoothly.  If one were to believe that automotive technical forums were representative of how automobiles function one would believe that it is far preferable to use a horse and buggy.  That is until one goes to the horse care forums and the buggy repair forums. . .

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

buggy repair forums. .

couldn't think of a better name for a Windows 10 forum

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

I did not care for Windows 7 but I love Windows 10. I am 60 years old and Windows 10 is just easy to work with and absolutely no issues.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Go through each of the of the versions and builds. Look at the issues that are being addressed in each build. Some builds have known issues that are awaiting fixes in the next build. It's like a constantly running beta. 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

Go through each of the of the versions and builds. Look at the issues that are being addressed in each build. Some builds have known issues that are awaiting fixes in the next build. It's like a constantly running beta. 

'Tis the price of rapid prototyping and addition of features.

If one cannot tolerate the occasional issue here and there (and that's what they are at an individual basis) then Windows, any Windows, is not the OS for you.  Then again, neither is OSX or Android, both of which have the same sort of things going on.

The pace of change just keeps getting faster and faster.  It certainly isn't Microsoft that's driving that, either.  I'm sure most OS makers devoutly wish that they could either freeze their code permanently and/or turn back the clock.  It ain't gonna happen.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Windows 10 has its bugs, and definitely when it was newly released the windows 10 forum was full of people needing help to fix whatever was wrong with it that day, but the main reason for the size of the windows 10 support forum now is the number of people using it. Windows 8/8.1 is not free of bugs, but because not many people use it now that forum only gets a few new threads per day. That said it does seem that, with https://www.netmarketshare.com reporting that in December 2017 Win 7 had 43% and win 10 had 33% of the desktop+laptop market share, the windows 10 forum does seem to be getting higher rates of support requests than the windows 7 forum.

Edited by rp88, 27 January 2018 - 02:13 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

A lady has gotten her revenge!

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/230794-woman-wins-10000-judgment-against-microsoft-for-forced-windows-10-upgrade

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Post #8, that is good news, but most of the upgrade's unwilling victims have gone without justice. If m$ had to pay $10000 for every forced upgrade that would have made them think twice.

Edited by rp88, 28 January 2018 - 12:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

This happened almost two years ago.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

This happened almost two years ago.

And was the result of a practice that lasted less than two weeks.  Even I said, at the time, that it was sleazy to have a "red X close out" of the upgrade offer dialog be taken to mean implicit consent rather than implicit rejection (as it had been not only for that, but for almost anything).  Microsoft got the hint on that one very, very fast and people had every right to be outraged.

The above being said, the user community rose up with a thundering voice and was heard, pronto.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

I have always felt a hipped roll out would have gained more acceptance then the tactic MS pulled, I thought it was a very pushy move that and the privacy concerns killed it for me.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

I have always felt a hipped roll out would have gained more acceptance then the tactic MS pulled, I thought it was a very pushy move that and the privacy concerns killed it for me.

Serious question:  What is a "hipped roll out"?   Not a term I've ever heard before.

I find it fascinating how "the privacy concerns" furor has died down almost entirely and not because anything has changed with Windows 10, but because people understand that the individual has an awful lot of control over what is or is not shared with Microsoft via the Privacy settings and a great many of the privacy concerns are actually about the use of cloud-based services, which all have these concerns and are in no way specific to Microsoft in any way.

I plowed through the EULA at length, and the amount of stuff prefaced by, "if you use this service" or "if you use the services" was huge.  Since I don't use the vast majority of services (and we're talking apps like OneDrive, Xbox, and many others, not OS services which are a whole different thing) and the first thing I do on any Windows 10 installation is to review the Privacy Settings and tweak them as I like them I knew there was not much to worry about.

This was confirmed, as much as can be, by using Glasswire to monitor network traffic to Microsoft's servers under Windows 7 and Windows 10 as I set it.  There was very little difference except for system health telemetry, and even that data is not huge if set to basic.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

The forced updates many are experiencing are becoming an issue, be it very bad timing for an update to decide it needs your attention or a buggy driver / buggy update itself.

You can not deny that for some an auto-update is or can be an issue (especially in the small office / home office world)

People worry less about criminals stealing their data than they do business and govt

Of the more than 300 people who took part, 40 percent say they would be most worried about corporations stealing their information. While nearly a third (27 percent) say they are most concerned about the government gathering their critical data.

However, only 21 percent gave identity theft by criminals as being their main concern

https://betanews.com/2018/01/26/corporation-data-privacy-threat/

Edited by Joe C, 28 January 2018 - 07:18 PM.

#15 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

With Windows 7 I never get any updates on the second Tuesday of the month or sooner for an out of band update. I normally hold off on any updates for a couple weeks first to see if it's safe ( I'm not going to be one of Microsoft's guinea pigs ) And if every thing looks safe, I'll update then ... I'm glad I waited this month!

Edited by Joe C, 28 January 2018 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users