Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery of laptop - Always leave on charge?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 malchico

malchico

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

My wife's laptop stayed on her desk for 2 years plugged in and battery went dead.  Should she charge it up and then take it out and run the computer from a/c plug?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

I do the self same thing, my battery lasted almost three years, I am on to two years on the new one I still leave it plugged in.  Though I ran it for awhile on just AC while waiting for the replacement.  My thinking may be wrong, but I think the battery acts as a buffer for spikes.  Ah probably wrong but it makes me feel good!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Most laptop batteries are only warrantied for a year, if they survive after that it is a bonus.  The only laptop I have is for work.  I leave it connected to the docking station and turned on 24/7.  At the end of each day I restart and then sign back in the next morning.  Normally I have no issues with the battery lasting for the three years of the lease.  As OldPhil said, part of the duty of the battery is to protect against brown out and power out issues.

I'd say you're better off replacing a failed battery than running without one.

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

I can also add some experience to this post. My current laptop that I use for Linux/Windows dual booting and messing around with has been in sleep, plugged into AC, with the battery in it for at least a year and a half. It still seems to do me well enough when it's unplugged the odd time, I get about 4 hours out of it watching videos. 

Batteries aren't terribly expensive, it's still cheaper than a new laptop!

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#5 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Hey,I also got my Acer Aspire F-15 plugged in all the time,but it is not turned on the whole time. :bounce:

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

I'll add a little I picked my lap top when I got out of the hospital in 2012, I fire it up about 6 am and shut it around 7.  I leave it plugged in almost constant on but do run in on the bat for a few hour maybe once a month.  Battery state still show good but I figure another 6-12 months it will need a new one.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

With Lithium batteries, the way you maximize their life, is, about once per month, run the battery down to around 50% and then plug the charger back in.  This approach is dictated by the physics of how the battery works.

With older NiCd batteries, it was run it down until it screams which is a little different.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users