Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell BIOS Update Fails to Boot Up Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 binspired

binspired

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Dell's latest BIOS update is a colossal failure. It will not open windows 10 and has rendered my laptop useless. I have tried everything the repair steps have suggested. I am not a techie but can dabble a bit if provided with good instructions to rectify.

This update is a kill pill for pc's.  Where is customer service acknowledging this mistake and offering a fix? Why should the customer have to literally pay for Dell's mistake with our wallets and lost productivity to fix this? Michael Dell would be so proud.

24hours later and 10 hours of trying to get my laptop back up, I'm no further along.

My system is showing BIOS Revision 1.18.2 although I do not know if this is the corrupt revision or the former BIOS. 

Here is what I've tried so far with no success:

1. Restart
  2. Shut down
  3. Exit and continue to Windows 10
  4. Startup Repair ("Diagnosing your pc." and "checking your disk for errors")
  5. "Attempting to Repair"
  6. Exit and continue to windows 10
  7. Reset PC
  8. System Restore
  9. Startup settings
    1. Enable debugging mode
    2. Enable Safe Mode
  10. F12 (all options) 
  11. F2 (setup)
    1. Boot sequence
    2. Advanced Boot Options
    3. Fast boot (changing boot up options)
    4. etc
  12. BIOS downgrade
  13. Loading BIOS Defaults

After attempting a startup repair that did not fix the issue, the following message appeared:

"Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

Could this issue be related to a missing Driver for the BIOS update? Would using the command prompt give me more options for repair?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Hi,

You didn't post any information about the machine! please post the Dell Service Tag.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 binspired

binspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

sorry 'bout that...

Service Tag:  F5RT0C2

Edited by binspired, 23 January 2018 - 01:52 PM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

The machine is a Inspiron 7359 2-in-1?

The latest BIOS on the Dell website is v1.17.0 if you downloaded a more recent version from the Dell website then they probably remove it because of problems related to this

Did you try to downgrade to v1.17.0 https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04394555M/1/Inspiron_3153_3158_7353_7359_7568_1.17.0.exe

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 binspired

binspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

I found that downgrade and saved it to a thumb drive however, once plugged into the "corrupted" laptop, I don't know how to access and start the exe. Please advise...

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Do you have access to another computer?

___
Rui

#7 binspired

binspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

yes. (that is the one I am using currently).

Also, I have access to the command prompt if that is helpful.

Edited by binspired, 23 January 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

According to the Dell instructions it should be possible to flash the BIOS using DOS.

Remove all the files you have on the flash drive and use RUFUS to create a bootable flash drive and select FreeDos. The flash drive will be formated.

Copy the BIOS file to the flash drive and try to boot the dell computer from it, Press the F12 key and Select "USB Storage Device" see if it boots to the dos prompt.

Rufus Guide: https://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

What is the size of the flash drive you have?

Edited by SleepyDude, 23 January 2018 - 04:14 PM.

___
Rui

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

The BIOS you say you have installed was definitely pulled by Dell as the pages for it say:

"The file you are attempting to download is no longer available, and may have been updated or replaced with a newer version"

You're on the right track. Create a bootable USB drive with the 1.17 BIOS on it and downgrade from it.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#10 binspired

binspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

I have a 28GB flash drive. (I also have access to the command prompt if that is helpful)

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

I have a 28GB flash drive. (I also have access to the command prompt if that is helpful)

Create the flash drive as FAT32 and see if it boots.

___
Rui

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

If you can get to the command prompt, boot with the flash drive plugged in, open a command prompt, do DIR C:<enter>, DIR D:<enter>, and continue up through the alphabet until you find the flash drive.  Once you have, type <thatdriveletter>:<enter> and type in the name of the BIOS file<enter> which ought to work.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users