Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Acronis True Image 2018 require USB 3.0 to create bootable rescue media?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi all!

I just upgraded to Acronis True Image 2018, but when I now try to create bootable USB 2.0 media, I receive the error message: "Failed to create USB bootable media."

And hence, my question is as follows;

Does Acronis True Image 2018 require USB 3.0 to create bootable rescue media?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 23 January 2018 - 11:52 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

That error happens not because of USB 2 or 3; I used Acronis True Image for some time in the past.  I have ATI 2016 local version (meaning I turned down the Cloud upgrade & services).  Failure to create rescue media can and does happen not only within ATI but also within my Macrium Reflect 6 & now 7. 

Edited by RolandJS, 23 January 2018 - 01:52 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Hi, RolandJS!

Thank you very much for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

The said error does not happen only occasionally, but even continuously.

Today, I went to the nearest city to purchase a 32 GB SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Memory, which saves me the waiting time to get it delivered with a mail package.

Because after all, it was SanDisk and Toshiba that invented the SD Flash Memory Card, so I figure it is a fairly quality-wise choice...as there is no need for a high-capacity drive.

It is getting a bit late here, so I will report back tomorrow if and how this works, so please bear with me until then... :busy:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hi again, RolandJS!

Later in the evening, I got a hunch about HitmanPro.Alert conflicting with Acronis True Image's Active Protection, which is the newly built-in Anti-Ransomware protection, and upon uninstalling HMP.A, ATI again managed to create bootable USB 2.0 rescue media.

So, I guess it is a lesson learned; do not have another Anti-Ransomware Protection Program running in real-time, but rather keep ATI's said protection, and besides, HMP.A has already become unnecessary because of Emsisoft Anti-Malware's Anti-Ransomware Protection.

It is also worth mentioning that disabling the said ATI-function does not reduce its memory footprint, which with its approximately 206.4 MB is equivalent to a full-featured Anti-Virus, and as such, there is not really much to gain from disabling it either.

The new USB 3.0 Flash Memory also works great, although I do not see any point in creating bootable USB 3.0 rescue media yet, but whenever in the future the need for it may arise, I already have it readily available.

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 26 January 2018 - 07:41 AM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:24 PM

You did all the thinking and doing, congrats on solving the situation!  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Hi again, RolandJS!

Thank you! All good! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

#7 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

Acronis Community Manager

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

It is also worth mentioning that disabling the said ATI-function does not reduce its memory footprint, which with its approximately 206.4 GB is equivalent to a full-featured Anti-Virus, and as such, there is not really much to gain from disabling it either.

Hi midimusicman79! Can you clarify on the above? 206.4 GB seems quite a large number and I would love to deliver this problem to product management team.

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hi, Bagaudin!

Thank you for the prompt reply and your interest in this matter! :)

I would like to apologize for inadvertently writing GB when what I obviously meant, was 206.4 MB, and as such, I have now updated my post (#4) to reflect this.

So, with that corrected, now I would guess this large memory footprint is no longer a concern, or otherwise, if my statement still applies, you should inform the product management team.

Or anyway, maybe you should talk to the product management team about HitmanPro.Alert's incompatibility with Acronis Active Protection, but that is up to you. Because for the record, I am not going to re-install HMP.A, as my 3-year license period is almost over.

Additionally, according to this Emsisoft's security blog post, one should not have more than one active antivirus/antimalware program installed at a time, so given the large memory footprint; does this apply to Acronis Active Protection (Anti-Ransomware) too, or not?

Thank you! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 26 January 2018 - 11:41 AM.

#9 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Hi midimusicman79!
Thanks for your feedback.
I usually tend to have both Active Protection and Windows Defender turned on with latter serving as second opinion.
I will share your feedback with our Product Management team for further consideration.
Also, if you need to extend you license I can provide a %50 discount code.

Best regards,
Bagaudin

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

Hi again, Bagaudin!

Thank you for the prompt reply! :)

Yes, I accept your offer; that is most kind of you! :thumbup2:

Regards,
midimusicman79

#11 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Hi midimusicman79!
Provided discount code via PM.
Let me know if you have any questions.

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 648 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hi again, Bagaudin!

Thank you so much for the discount code! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#13 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

You're most welcome! Let me know if you need any assistance.

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

The new USB 3.0 Flash Memory also works great, although I do not see any point in creating bootable USB 3.0 rescue media yet, but whenever in the future the need for it may arise, I already have it readily available.

Some USB flash drives could not be made bootable. If they're seen as USB mass storage, they'll boot. But if as Local disk, they won't.

Anyway, the point of creating rescue media is to have it tested and available when windows or your hard drive breaks, because at that time you will not be able to create rescue media. Just make sure you can boot with it and go at least through few steps of finding your image(s) and verifying at least one to make sure it's really ready for the time rescue is needed.

Just FYI, I actually use rescue media exclusively for imaging since I dislike the ATI interface introduced after ATI v11. With Windows not running I feel safer that the image will be ok. Though I know imaging from inside Windows is ok, always was for me in ATI v9,10,11. Just the 2016 version I dislike and find it totally unmanagable.

Edited by tos226, 27 January 2018 - 11:14 PM.

#15 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

Just FYI, I actually use rescue media exclusively for imaging since I dislike the ATI interface introduced after ATI v11. With Windows not running I feel safer that the image will be ok. Though I know imaging from inside Windows is ok, always was for me in ATI v9,10,11. Just the 2016 version I dislike and find it totally unmanagable.

Hi tos226,
Thanks for your feedback. It's definitely not the first time I am hearing about older interface being better.
Can you share more details via PM as to what exactly you like in older version and what you think is made wrong in newer versions?
I would love to share with our product management team and add to the pile of other similar feedback - hopefully we'll see some change in the future versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users