Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont boot until 4th-6th try

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

lol, i guess the only solution is new motherboard? or do you think i'm going to have the same problem even if i do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

I'm thinking you brought the problems to your new HDD. When you reinstalled Windows did you reformat the drive and start fresh?

#18 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:18 PM

well i'm using the original drive because i can get it to boot. the new one, i tried to install windows from an option that was there when it couldn't restart and it wouldnt boot after that. I deleted all partitions on the original and reinstalled windows from a usb drive and that is the one we are talking about right now. I figure my data might still be on the clone, and if i can fix this one, i can load up the other and get my data back but...really at this point I would just like to be able to use my desktop with confidence. I was happy with it, and if I can just replace a component and have it work, that would be awesome.

Edited by ashgallows, 23 January 2018 - 11:24 PM.

#19 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

sorry henry, i didnt answer your question. i used the acronis software that came with the drive to clone the original to the new one. it worked perfectly until what i think was the next windows update. 

#20 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

lol, i guess the only solution is new motherboard? or do you think i'm going to have the same problem even if i do that?

There isn't anything which indicates a problem with the motherboard.  I believe you have corrupted files that were present when you cloned the drive and now both hdds/ssds have file corruption.  The problem you were having with the Command Prompt shouldn't have occurred and points to a problem with the operating system.  This is a new hdd/ssd, so we can safely assume the problem isn't with the drive.

I would suggest that you download a ISO file and create new installation media and do a fresh installation on the new drive. 

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#21 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

I used one to reformat the original and still have the problem. i'll try it on the new one today. when i go to reinstall are you recommending i delete all partitions first and install?

#22 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

Yes, The Windows Installer will create all the needed partitions. for you.

#23 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

I always like to overwrite the hdd with a program like WipeDrive. There is a free trial at the site I posted the link for.  This will allow you to start with a clean slate.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#24 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

so should i install windows then use wipedrive and install again? the drive wouldnt mount before...

#25 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

You overwrite the drive first so that the drive is then blank, then you install the operating system.

#26 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

i went and used the usb media and deleted all partitions on the hard drive and reinstalled windows. i'm letting all the updates install and am going to try a complete shutdown and restart after that. i'm a little wary of making a "delete everything" usb stick. if this doesnt work, i will go that route.

#27 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

o.k. looks like that is going to have to happen now. i'm still convinced it's a hardware issue, as it's two different drives that have had the partitions deleted and windows reinstalled. i will try wipe software then, and see if thats the magic bullet.

#28 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

o.k. guys I tried dban booted from a rufus formatted usb. no luck couldn't boot from it. wipedrive isnt free and they want your info to spam you or call you to use the trial.

I deleted all partitions from the drive and reinstalled windows. this is still happening. one clue though, it seems from a cold start the drive wont boot. but if i do a hard shutdown and then hit the button before the drive spins down it will boot.

this is weird since it's a brand new drive and should not have any motor issues, and it's a brand new overbuilt power supply  which should have not trouble powering it.

#29 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the first device in the order is a USB and the second the hdd/ssd before attempting to install Windows on the drive?

#30 ashgallows

ashgallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:15 AM

i admit i did not, what i did do thought is go to the control panel and select recovery and selected boot from usb there, except the drive with dban wouldnt show up, whereas when i had my windows usb media it did.

I have a new development. if i discharge the caps i.e. unplug the computer and hold down the power button for 20 secs the drive will spin up no problem when i plug it back in. but if i leave the computer overnight i have to do it again in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users