Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop fell and cursor starts moving on its own.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jokersan

jokersan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

I put my laptop on a small table.As I pulled the end of my carpet to fix it, the table accidentally flipped with the laptop.I didn't really paid attention when it fell but as far as I can tell the back cover of my laptop hits the floor along with the table.So I lift them up back to normal and continued browsing the internet.

The problem came the next day in the morning.As I was browsing reddit, the cursor starts moving on its own to the edge of the monitor. As for which side of the monitor, It's completely random but most commonly it's either upper right corner or bottom left corner.Continuing the story,I restarted my laptop and it still didn't solve the issue.Also tried google searching but no luck.

Here's a list of things that I have tried:

• Reinstall drivers
  • Closing any third party programs
  • Restart the computer
  • Scan the computer using Malwarebytes 

And here's my laptop's specs:

• Dell Latitude e5410
  • 4gb Ram
  • Intel core i5
  • Intel Hd graphics
  • Windows 7 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.(If you don't understand anything I said just ask me because I'm not a native speaker sorry.) 

Edited by hamluis, 24 January 2018 - 06:49 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Just by the fact this problem happened after the drop would indicate it's a hardware problem and not a software problem. It could be the trackpad itself or the connection between the trackpad and motherboard. If you are comfortable disassembling the computer see the below Ebay page otherwise take it to a good shop. Make sure the wired connection is secure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-Latitude-E5410-Trackpad-Keyboard-Cover-Single-Click-Palmrest-3M0NW/121724702004?epid=1448537246&hash=item1c575b8d34:g:0NMAAOSwDNdVxNPL

Service Manual

#3 jokersan

jokersan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

I see.So the problem probably lies at the keyboard area not the monitor?. That's pretty unfortunate though. I was hoping for a simpler solution like reformat the pc or something.  For starters, I think I'll try sending the laptop to a shop since I'm no expert at these.Anyways thank you for the reply sir.Have a good day.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,242 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

Do you have a mouse on hand?  If so look into the manual on how to disable the pad and give the mouse a try, if it works with the mouse then it should just be the pad.  With luck the fall may have jarred a ribbon cable, a pad change is not to bad but fair chance you or a tech will need to get inside, there are quite a few videos on Youtube on disassembly.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

Do you have a mouse on hand?  If so look into the manual on how to disable the pad and give the mouse a try, if it works with the mouse then it should just be the pad.  With luck the fall may have jarred a ribbon cable, a pad change is not to bad but fair chance you or a tech will need to get inside, there are quite a few videos on Youtube on disassembly.

Good idea.  :) If an external mouse solves the problem you could get a small wireless mouse to replace your trackpad.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,242 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

That is what I use, I hate the pads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pirate:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

Try an external mouse as suggested. If that works fine I would stay with that.

It would be cheaper than trying to get the touch pad fixed and certainly better on your hands.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 jokersan

jokersan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

hmm... I tried to look at the manual but it doesn't clear that much for me. How exactly do you disable the touchpad? is it done through Devices Manager or you have to open up the computer parts?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

I would simply attach a mouse and see how it goes. I believe your trackpad would be in Device Manager under Mice and Pointing devices. Right click and select disable but I would attach the mouse first. Look in Device Manager with the mouse attached. If you see two entries with one being the trackpad you can right click the trackpad and disable, not uninstall. If you only see one entry do nothing.

#10 jokersan

jokersan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

I would simply attach a mouse and see how it goes. I believe your trackpad would be in Device Manager under Mice and Pointing devices. Right click and select disable but I would attach the mouse first. Look in Device Manager with the mouse attached. If you see two entries with one being the trackpad you can right click the trackpad and disable, not uninstall. If you only see one entry do nothing.

Thank goodness, it worked. Actually I had to go to the official site to download the touchpad driver for dell for the option to appear. It wasn't actually the touchpad that was damaged rather the pointstick at the middle of the keyboard that could control the cursor.Phew, I'm glad I didn't send the laptop to the shop yet (thanks to my laziness).Once again, I'm thanking all of you who replied to this.That aside,Is it a good idea to leave the damaged pointstick alone?

Edited by jokersan, 24 January 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

Yes, don't mess with the point stick. Glad you got it sorted. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users