Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just bought Win7 Pro RETAIL - how to check it is genuine and not in use?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sheilasnuts

Sheilasnuts

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Hi all

I've just recently bought a Win7 Pro RETAIL; used from eBay.  The seller has good feedback, and I chatted a fair amount with him through eBay messages.  I have every reason to trust him, but in spite of that I would still like to check and be 100% sure that what I have is genuine and available for installation (not in use on another PC).

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can go about this?  Can I go to MS direct to check (I seem to remember reading that I can't, but am not totally sure)?  Any other ways...

Please note that for various reasons I won't bore you all with, I won't be able to actually use and install the OS for at least a couple of weeks....

Many thanks  :)

Max

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

If this is a retail version and not OEM you should be able to download an iso file by inputting your key at the below page.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

If the page accepts your key then you have a genuine Windows 7 key but it still does not tell you if it has been in use. You can call Microsoft Support but according to the below page they may not know until you try to activate.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-key-validation/42f15349-3d9c-4868-a22a-df2a8fa57cd9?auth=1

#3 Sheilasnuts

Sheilasnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

Thanks John.  Yes, it is definitely full retail.  And I've just put the key into the page and it accepted it with no issues.  So that's a good start....

I guess it's time to call MS next and see what happens.  If they can't tell me whether it is in use or not, I'll just have to pull my finger out and get it installed ASAP!  

So just to clarify, now that the key has been accepted, if I am able to activate it once I have it installed, can I then rest easy that what I have is 100% genuine and 100% "available" (not in use)?  Or could something came back to bite me further down the road?  

I do feel I'm probably being overly paranoid.  It certainly looks legit and the seller had none of the hallmarks of a dodgy geezer.  He was a nice guy in fact, and very helpful.  But I'm overly cautious by nature and have read so many stories about fakes that I just want to be totally sure.

Many thanks for the help

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

If the OS activates after install then you are good to go. Nothing will happen down the road. Ebay will usually refund the money if you get a bad key. If the seller had a high rating then I don't think you have to worry.

#5 Sheilasnuts

Sheilasnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Thanks John, that's reassuring to know.  I hope!  :)

So... As well as putting the product key in the link you gave above, I have now also called MS and spoken to them about it/given them the license key and they confirmed that it is a valid and genuine license.   So that's good news.

The chap at MS was unable to tell me whether it is currently installed on another PC, as suspected.  

Here's a link to the actual product I bought:

Happy to upload any photos as well if that would help any?  

Once it is (hopefully) confirmed that it is totally genuine, the next step will be making sure it is "available"/not in use or installed on another computer.  And it would seem that is only possible by installing it...  Correct?  

Nothing will happen down the road. 

What I don't get is this...  If I install it and all is well and as it should be.  But let's say the seller's PC which it was on still has it on but is not in use.  If he were to then use the PC in, say,  6 months time, what would happen?  That aspect of it really confuses me.  

Thanks so much for the help.   Much appreciated.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Was the disk in a sealed package? I am not sure how transfers work if the OS was on the sellers computer. A retail key allows a transfer between computers after a call to Microsoft. I doubt you would have this kind of problem with a Ebay seller with a high rating.

https://www.howtogeek.com/261053/when-can-you-move-a-windows-license-to-a-new-pc/

https://superuser.com/questions/170349/can-i-move-a-windows-7-license-key-from-one-pc-to-another

#7 Sheilasnuts

Sheilasnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

No, it was not a sealed package.  I just have his word that it was uninstalled.  he confirmed this when I asked, but the original listing also stated:  "The software has been removed from the computer that it was previously installed on."  

If I had to guess one way or another, I'd say all is fine and I have nothing to worry about.  But I do have a propensity to worry and fear the worse!  And that's why I'm here I guess; for the final bit of assurity.

Thanks for all the help. 

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Original Microsoft disks have a hologram imprinted on them

Windows_7_hologram.png

#9 Sheilasnuts

Sheilasnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

I've got the SP1 version, which has a much smaller hologram.  I have had a look at his page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx?tab=PackagedSoftwareTab

What I found:

- I think the first colourful sticker is for a different product, as mine (and other) Win7 CoAs look nothing like that. 
- My product key sticker is the yellow one. It is a little bit different, but mostly the same. The differences are that the vertical line is in a slightly different place, and the writing ("Proof of license...") is mostly on one line, with just the last word on line two. Whereas on he page you linked to there is a whole sentence on line two.
- Holograms... There are slightly raised bits I can feel with my fingernail in the inner circle. And I can feel a slight edge round the outer surface with my fingernail, but more for the whole disc than the hologram. On the whole I'd say I don't think it is a sticker...
- The two arrow holograms are there and line up perfectly. 
- The Microsoft <-> Genuine section took a little while to find but when I did it does indeed flip between the two words. Very clever! 

Thanks for the reply :)

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

My Pro is gold with a small hologram, I bet it is just fine!  So far I have never had an issue with high 90's sellers.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users