Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect Wireless Bridge to Access Point

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dw1256

dw1256

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I am trying to connect an old Linksys WRT54G router (wireless bridge) to my existing access point on my home network.

My current setup at home is as follows:

My primary router is a Linksys E1500.  I have turned off the wifi because it is very spotty and requires frequent reboots.  I then have a Ubiquiti Access Point connected to the E1500 for all wireless connections.

If possible, I would like to connect the old WRT54G wireless bridge to my Ubiquiti access point.

Before the wifi on my E1500 crapped out, I was able to connect the WRT54G (wirless bridge) running dd-wrt to the E1500.  Now that I need the connection made between the wireless bridge and access point, I am not sure how to change the settings so that the wireless bridge can talk to the access point.

In the past this helped greatly to extend my network into the garage.  If anyone has any other suggestions as to how the WRT54G should be configured, I am open to that (ex. access point or something else.)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

I would set the wrt54g as a repeater not a bridge.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

A bridge needs WDS packet formats (aka Mac in Mac) to function correctly. On most Ubiquiti devices there is a checkbox up near where you select the mode (AP/Client) on the Wireless page. On some devices and older software it is actually in the Client/Ap dropdown as AP/WDS or AP/Bridge. As long as you can get the WiFi security to line up you should be fine. You might try the wrt box as a straight client to make sure you can get the connect going before changing to Bridge mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users