Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: drive is short of space

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RockVacirca

RockVacirca

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

Hi guys,

I have two separate internal drives on my PC (both NTFS) and one external drive. (FAT)

The primary C: drive, Disk 1, is a solid state drive (SSD) 60GB (entire drive used, no partitions) and is nearly full and often gives me 'short of disk space' errors

The second internal drive, Disk 2,  D:, is a regular hard drive (not solid state), 1TB, no partitions, and has lots of free space on it.

I would like to allocate some of the free space on the D: drive to C:, can this be done? How?

If the answer to the above is 'No' can I merge the C: and D: drives, (without losing the data on Drive D:)? How?

One more thing, some time ago, to solve the disk space problem on drive C: I bought SymMover, which moved a lot of applications from the C: drive to the D: drive (I think it uses some kind of forward referencing) and I am worried that a merge of C: and D: would break a lot of applications. So that is why I would prefer an allocation of free space on drive D: to drive C: if possible, rather than merging the two drives.

I have also just bought Partition Wizard Professional + Boot Media Builder V10.2.3, but I think it has been a waste of money as it seems to only reallocate space or merge partitions on the same physical drive, rather than on two separate physical drives.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

There's no point trying to find weird ways around the issue, get a larger SSD is the only sensible solution.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:19 AM

You cannot club two separate hard drives into a single partition.

I can suggest : 

To install all programs on the second hard disc. (Uninstall them from the SSD choose advanced installation and install onto a separate partition ie on the HDD.

(or)

Reinstall the windows on the HDD. You might not be willing for the second option though.

#4 RockVacirca

RockVacirca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

I have over $5000 of commercial software on my PC that I do not want to lose. Is there no way to overcome the problem, without data loss?

Rock

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

if you buy a new bigger SSD and clone it to the new drive you shouldn't lose anything.

and if you legally own all your software you should have licenses for all of it in case you do have to reinstall.

#6 travolta133

travolta133

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

I would like to suggest the solution that I succeeded with, myself.

i) When I empty Recycle Bin as well as Temporary Internet Files, my C drive gets some space.

ii) Secondly, I check my Downloads folder, it is almost filled with heavy files, then I transfer them to other drives (other than C)

iii) and I really find better space speed.

iv) also try disk defragment utility of Windows.

Edited by travolta133, 24 January 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

try disk defragment utility of Windows.

You do not defragment a SSD. Also defrag has no effect on a drive being short of space.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

I would disable System Restore if that was enabled or at least dial back your space allocated to it. If you have hibernation enabled that will also eat up space. You can disable it at the command prompt.

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter.
  • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

Edit: If you are using Windows backup delete some of the backups.

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/16089-backup-schedule-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8930-backups-view-manage-space-windows-8-a.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

FWIW:  I believe that disabling hibernation is not enough...the hiberfil.sys file must also be deleted to reclaim that space.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/delete-hiberfilsys-by-disabling-windows-hibernate-function/

Louis

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

FWIW:  I believe that disabling hibernation is not enough...the hiberfil.sys file must also be deleted to reclaim that space.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/delete-hiberfilsys-by-disabling-windows-hibernate-function/

Louis

:thumbsup:

#11 travolta133

travolta133

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

try disk defragment utility of Windows.

You do not defragment a SSD. Also defrag has no effect on a drive being short of space.

Thanks, this improved my knowledge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users