Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci Slots Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Original?

Original?

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

Specification:
Abit AN8 Ultra
AMD 64bit 3700+
2GB Corsair RAM
80GB Maxtor Diamond Harddrive
HIS ATi Radeon x850xt 256mb PCI-E GFX card

When I built the machine there were no problems with the PCI slot and my Creative Soundblaster card was working fine. Then after around a month the fan on the graphics card failed, being lazy I never bothered to resolve this, then the sound card stopped working, I assumed this was just the card, so I reverted to using the on board sound. Yesterday however I purchased a Wireless Network Adapter, unfortunately this doesn't work in either of the PCI slots on my board, I've tried changing the PCI settings in the bios,even loading the Fail Safe Defaults, unfortunately they proved not to be fail safe in this case. Could this be a problem with either the Motherboard or the power supply?

When I tried googling the problem,it was suggested to other with this problem to disable 1394 manually, however I have no idea what this means let alone how to do it.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated,
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Did you remove the failed video card?

Have you looked in your device manager to see if there are any yellow or red warning icons there?

This Microsoft Knowledgebase article describes how to disable 1394 devices in the device manager:
An IEEE 1394 device drive may stop working when you turn on another IEEE device in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;894956

I don't see why disabling Firewire ports or buses would affect PCI card recognition though.

#3 Original?

Original?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

No I didn't the card still works, just the fan does not, I'd replace it just I haven't a spare PCI-E gfx card to do so with. Could this be causing the issue?

In device manager I have only got yellow warning flag on the new wireless adapter and the USB Controller.

I've disabled the firewire bus controller as is described in the link though I don't think it's done any good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users