Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you get Windows back to initial screen after install?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aj84

aj84

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:16 AM

Hi all,

This query applies to all versions of windows but primarily 10, 8 and 7.

Lets say a new drive had gone into a laptop, windows reloaded and drivers reinstalled.  Windows is activated, laptop tested and we're good.

Is there a way to get it now back to the initial welome screen where a user would create their username/password/wifi details/common settings and so on?

Essentially I want it to feel like it's straight out of the shop with all the initial registration screens but have windows activated and all the drivers installed.

Not sure if this is something Sysprep would do?

Note, this is not for re-imaging purposes...this would be something on a laptop by laptop basis.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

You can read here.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/sysprep--generalize--a-windows-installation

Just because Windows is activated on one machine though does not mean it will be activated on another.  Activation is attached to HWID.

#3 aj84

aj84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

You can read here.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/sysprep--generalize--a-windows-installation

Just because Windows is activated on one machine though does not mean it will be activated on another.  Activation is attached to HWID.

Thanks for the reply- Sorry I might have not been clear.  This is a laptop by laptop requirement.  I am not using one laptops image to put on another.

So lets say I have 10 laptops.  I would install windows on all 10 individually, install drivers and so on and finally activate all 10.

I am now left with 10 laptops and they're ready to use.  When I turn it on, I get to the Windows desktop.

What I want to do is get all 10 to keep their activation and driver status but on bootup, not go to the desktop and instead, go to the windows introduction screens you first get after a full install.

The requirement is the laptops must be ready to use but when a user purchases the laptop and turns it on for their first time, they're introduced to the introduction screens where they can create their own user/s, password/s, select their wifi and so on.

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Read this.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/boot-windows-to-audit-mode-or-oobe

Just do NOT update Store apps.  There is a section called Deployment Examples -> Prepare the Computer for a Customer.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Unless you have a Volume License you are not going to activate more than one computer.  Using the sysprep.exe can be used to generalize the operating system, but you would still need a separate product code for each installation.

A OEM version is specific to the computer it was installed on.  This means it can only be used with the computer it was originally installed on at the factory.

A retail version can be moved from one computer to another, but you will not to activate more than one per installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 aj84

aj84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

dc3 - I know that! :- )

Maybe I complicated things by giving my example of more than 1 laptop.  Let's just assume it's one laptop I have here with a COA. I format, reinstall windows, install drivers, make it pretty, activate windows and now I want to shut it down so that when the owner turns it on, it'll go to the windows introduction screen and not desktop where Joe Bloggs will enter the name of the "PC", and enter Joe Bloggs as a new user, and enter bloggs joe as his password, and select a wifi connection and whatever else you normally get after installing windows for the first time.

I'll give the instructions dhagerjohns pointed me to in the first instance and see how it goes

#7 aj84

aj84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:55 AM

Hi all,

So the image part is resolved by using Onekey which seems to do the trick although I'm looking at whether it's possible to run this from USB as the laptop should not have the application installed.

The sysprep DOES work however it is stripping the windows activation part.

Is it possible to do a sysprep /oobe but maintain activation status on that specific laptop?

This is not so much an issue with W8 and W10 as there does not seem to be a limitation of how many times that specific laptop can be activated but most Windows 7 laptops I'm getting accept the COA key however a phone call to the activation servers needs to be made and the long line of numbers entered to activate it.

I don't mind doing this but the end-user should not need to do this should they recover the laptop...it should be activated on recovery on that specific laptop.

Thanks

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

I have a slight problem with helping you any further.  What you are asking is for information regarding getting around purchasing a separate product code.  Below is one of our forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 aj84

aj84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

dc3, I appreciate this might be sounding like it but this is not what I am asking for.  Every laptop DOES have a product key. It's that key we want to install on the laptop it belongs to and simply OOBE + image to a recovery partition. This is not to get around that...and if it does not, we have to purchase one.  It's no different to how manufacturers are doing it surely?  How does a W7 laptop run a factory restore to an activated state?

There has been a legal request from Microsoft that all laptops that are being sold MUST be in OOBE mode at the point of sale as the customer has to accept terms.  Up until now, we buy in the laptop/s, full reinstall, activate and sell.

And further to this, a request from the company policy that the end customer (and store) must be able to do a full restore bringing it back to an activated state.

I don't see the issue in this really.

There must be a way to prep a system fully and image it as is in oobe mode for that specific laptop

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

This is a OEM version of Windows.  A OEM version can only be installed once on one computer... period.  A OEM installation is tied to the computer it was installed on. 

#11 aj84

aj84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

exactly - so whats the issue?

I'm not using the key on another laptop...I want to use it on the same laptop it came on.

All I am asking for is the ability to do a OOBE on it once its ready and store that into a recovery partition (I would use OneKey for that).

If and when the future owner wants to then restore the laptop, they use the restore partition (F11 on boot in this case) and it restores it back to the OOBE state it was in where all they need to do is fill their name, username/password, wifi and so on before ending back to the desktop.

What they should not have to do is enter the product key from under the laptop (because this should already be in from the original pre-recovery partition creation), then call a number to activate, then enter a whole bunch of numbers on their phone, then enter a whole bunch of numbers into the laptop every time they want to restore the laptop.

This is not so much an issue on W8 and W10 laptops, it's more XP, Vista and W7 laptops we are having issues with.

But I ask again, what you are saying is exactly what I am doing but once entered and activated, I want to create almost like a restore point on that laptop with the OOBE screen to open first should the laptop be restored to that point.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

You gave hypothetical instances of using other computers.  Hypothetical or otherwise it appears that your intentions is to install this single operating system on another computer.

#13 aj84

aj84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

dc3, I feel we are going to get into an unnecessary argument on this but I feel I need to stand my ground and say you are clearly not wanting to help but more importantly read what I am putting on the forum.  I appreciate judging by the number of posts you have, you are clearly a veteran on here and I will put it down to a bad...month.

However if you feel you cannot help, feel free to say so and I'll jump back to the Microsoft forums.

And so to be completely clear to your point...I never once said the intention is to install the image onto multiple machines.  If I wanted to do this, I have a volume licence I could use.

My first thread states This would be done on a laptop by laptop basis.

My second reply states "

So lets say I have 10 laptops.  I would install windows on all 10 individually, install drivers and so on and finally activate all 10."

Where in any of that does it state I am trying to install the same key on multiple systems?

In actual fact moving on from the 10 laptops, I have probably close to double now and more mounting up all with the same issue.

And so to repeat for the nth time, whatever solution does the trick, its a solution that would be implemented per laptop.

Not the same image, not the same key... but first install Windows manually on laptop A.  Install drivers on laptop A.  Install product key found under laptop if W7 or older on Laptop A and finally activate laptop A.

Once activated, sysprep to OOBE state.   I then  use onekey to create a recovery partition.  Again, not something that goes onto USB or an external drive...this is on the SAME drive as LAPTOP A.

Once this is complete, carry out ALL the above steps onto Laptop B and so on.

There is nothing sinister going on here - heck this is retail, I'm hardly going to need an illegal solution for something that is displayed in cabinets for everyone to see .

Anyway clearly I seem to have made a mistake in registering here to request help so I'll stick with the MS forums and hopefully get what is clearly looking like a potential solution now from helpers there.  If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free... In progression, those that are able to help have got me as far as to looking into an unattended xml deployment.  I've downloaded the kit but not used it before.

Edited by aj84, 29 January 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

There is not going to be an argument, nor any further post on my part.  I stated the facts as I know them.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users