Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which KVM switch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:21 AM

Hi Currently l have 2 HP towers with HDMI outputs. I want to control both towers with 1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 2 screens.

Can anyone recommend a KVM switch that will do the job? I would also be grateful if someone could explain the best way to set this up - connections etc.

Many thanks

Geoff

Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:56 AM

Do you mean you want a dual-head HDMI switcher/KVM, so that both computers think they are running dual monitors?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Hi

Yes, so i am able to switch between PCs - My wife uses PC1 and l use PC2 - So we can save space.

Geoff

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

we use the manual push button io-gear brand and have no issues with them.  we also used to to use the older keyboard controlled ones and updated them because they would have issues with not working and it was a 4 button key stroke to change computers.  in order you would have to press <ctrl> then <alt> then <shift> then an number 1-3 for the port you wanted to activate.  and user timing hitting buttons was difficult for some users.   the manual push button units made it easier for everyone.   but the older ones was just human timing error and worked great after they got used to them.

so it's personal preference, if your gaming and use keyboard short cuts I would go with the manual switch box.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

Hi

Yes, so i am able to switch between PCs - My wife uses PC1 and l use PC2 - So we can save space.

That's what a KVM does. My question is since you say 2 screens, do you need a KVM that works with a dual-head monitor installation, because that will be more expensive than one that switches just the single monitor signal..

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

Dual-View CS-1742 USB KVM Switch will do what you want.

#7 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:19 AM

Thanks thats what I thought
Geoff

#8 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:14 AM

Both my Acers Aspire XC-230 A8 only have 1 HDMI port out. How can l connect a dual monitor KVM switch? I was looking at buying Aten CS1642A switch.

I'm ok console end but unsure how to connect to the PCs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:47 AM

It's very difficult to understand what you're describing to us. Your first post said your computers have HDMI outputs (plural), If each computer actually only has one HDMI out, how are you going to run dual monitors? Does each computer have one HDMI and one VGA out?

To make it more confusing, the CS1642A you are looking at is for Dual Link DVI - do the computers have one HDMI and one DVI out?

#10 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:32 AM

Hi Sorry for the confusion -

I am looking at buying 2 new towers and a kVM switch to connect them.

I have 2 flat screen monitors - 1 usb keyboard and 1 usb mouse.

Both monitors are Samsung - S22B350 and S22D300

My current PC is getting old and i am going to replace it with 2 new ones. I for me and 1 for my wife.

I want to control both Pcs with 1 Mouse, 1 keboard and 2 monitors. My wife uses PC during the day and l at night to work in the evening.

I am looking at buying either 2 x HP slimlline 260_a 180na  - or - 2 x Acer Aspire XC-230 A8 - They both need to be fairly slim to fit into my desk space.

All i really need to know is what KVM switch and associated leads l need to set this configuration up.

Many thanks .for your help

Geoff

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the extra background info, however it still doesn't tell us exactly what video connections you'll be needing to use.

The specifications I find for the HP option here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Slimline-260-a100-Desktop-PC-series/12079697/document/c05366099/

indicate the proposed system has one VGA and one HDMI output.

Does that mean you're looking for a KVM that switches both a VGA and an HDMI connection so you can simultaneously run two monitors on either computer?

#12 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:36 AM

That's exactly it, thanks, And switch between the two.

Geoff

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:42 AM

OK! Not a combination I've needed to use before. Other experienced members may be able to indicate a suitable KVM straight off, so far I'm not finding much success in searches. Dual head KVMs usually accommodate two of the same type connection.

Edit: for example I can't find any listing of Aten doing such, StarTech have only DVI+VGA:

https://www.startech.com/uk/VGA?c_filter=KVM-Switches

which could be used with HDMI/DVI adapter cables if you don't want sound over HDMI.

Edited by Platypus, 28 January 2018 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users