Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer no longer reads flash drives, external hard drives.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Janette1800

Janette1800

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:18 AM

Yesterday I discovered my computer will no longer read my flash drives, external hard drives or SD cards.  If I plug in any of them, they don’t even show up in Disk Management.  In Device Manager they will show up, but will have a yellow flag and under Properties it says the driver for this device is not installed even though they’ve been used before on the computer.  Clicking “Update Driver” doesn’t help because it searches and says there are no drivers for this device.  If I go to the “Events” tab, it gives the  date and “Device configured (null)”.

I restarted my computer today, hoping it might correct this problem, but when restarting I ended up with a message about an inaccessible boot drive.  After going into a loop several times where it told me about the inaccessible boot drive and then restarted again, I finally ended up with a screen that gave me more options for troubleshooting such as doing a system restore point.  I had the computer perform a system restore and finally it took me to the welcome screen and then desktop.  Anyway, rebooting did not correct the problem about my computer not reading my flash drives, external hard drives or SD card.  Any ideas?  Maybe the problems I’m having are related to a recent Windows update (computer seemed to be working fine before the update), but don’t know for sure. 

My computer is an HP desktop, Windows 10, Intel Core I5 6400T CPU, 64 bit operating system that was bought around the end of 2016.

I've scanned with Malwarebytes and Norton but nothing shows up.

Sorry, I’m no computer pro so I’d appreciate it if any explanations were kept really simple!  Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

What you want to do is to go to the HP wesite's support page, find your computer and you should be able to download the current drivers. Here is a link to the page. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

Please post the model of this HP computer.

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check usually indicates that the Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup. If this happens, the system usually shuts itself down after showing a Blue Screen or Stop Error to protect itself from probable data corruption or loss.

I'm guessing that you now cannot boot into Windows?

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

To determine which version of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then click/tap on OK.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

If you can't boot into Windows you will need the installation media to access the system recovery options.  If you can access the Command Prompt you can rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data).

It would appear that you have access to another computer, please use the information to create a Windows 10 installation disc.

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.  For those who are not familiar with navigating the BIOS I would suggest creating the installation media on a disc.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users