Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 self destructed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 johnedee

johnedee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

I really could use some help here. I let windows techs take over remote to attempt to update from version 1607 to version 1709. It was determined that corrupted files wont allow it. Burned ISO cd  using MCT. Attempted to perform "setup.exe" and failed. MS tech said she couldnt resove corrupt files but would disable updates to get out of loop.

After session cleaned up mess and restarted. No longer have access to left click on start window. All apps are no where to be found. Back to tech support I go. Second tech tried best to resolve issue Ran DISM, SCF the usual suspects. Even tech couldn't figure it out. Suggested clean reinstall. Ironic, that's what started this mess. 

I am no longer able to access Emails, (except thru phone), can't access widows photos to download, no backgammon, not a tile to be seen. Would like to know if ANYONE can help a fellow human being out here.

Thanks in advance,

JohnEDee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Firstly, do you need any data on the hard drive? I assume you have access to another computer, correct?

What is the make and model of the computer? Was OS was pre-installed on it?

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2018 - 08:19 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

MAKE SURE TO BACK-UP ALL FILES BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIRS

Along with John's suggestions please do this if possible.

If possible Post a Speccy Information Page to the web with this tutorial by dc3

Speccy Tutorial

Edited by pcpunk, 22 January 2018 - 08:26 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 johnedee

johnedee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. MS attempted two more tries and neither worked. The first was to try and reinstall apps via power shell,and it didn't work. Of course that was after a failure when trying to trouble shoot Apps with App TS program. The second was a back door approach by trying to set up another account user. Using the logic that if it opened with all the apps I should be able to export files, pix, etc to the working account. Needless to say that to was a no go.

They really screwed the pooch on this one. I cant access pix, they're gone for ever. I can't update due to two corrupt files (ironically that's how this all came about). Can not due a clean reinstall of Version 1709, I am running Version 1607, and have a recovery disk for version 1511. 

Currently I am awaiting a phone call from an "escalated supervisor" after he reviews what was done. For _hits and giggles I am going to run "tweaking.com" to see if that unmucks anything. It's more than doubtful that it will work or do anything.

If it were not for the fact that PC is more than 8 yrs old I would be angrier than a hornet in a soda can!

Thanks agian

(Apparently loss up apps, and start button, and ability to set up a new user account is quite common when installs fail. However, as one tech said "if you cant set up new accounts , don' bother going any further)

JeDee

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

Do you need data on the computer? You can pull data using a live linux disk or by connecting the hard drive to another computer using a USB adapter.

Edit: If you don't need any data it's a straight forward approach to do a clean install of Windows 10. Personally, I would never had installed Windows 10 on an 8 year old computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 January 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

I can't update due to two corrupt files (ironically that's how this all came about). 

What are the 2 corrupt files?

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

Dido to what JohnC_21 said.  Get files and "Clean Install" Windows 10.

1. Would be good for us if we had the computer Model number!

a. This way we can advise as to what to do next.  If it is worth while to reinstall Windows, or maybe go with something like a Linux OS, like I'm on now.  If it's a low powered computer and you don't want to spend more money on it, Linux would be the way.  And, there may be other issues like the Hard Drive, cooling etc. which will be even more money if the pc needs hardware upgrade like more RAM.  May be not worth keeping to you at that point.

b. We may even be able to diagnose some of this in the computers current condition, at boot, by pressing one of the Function Keys.

2. Get your files off before any more work is done.

a. Maybe by going to local shop, or with help from folks here.  Do you have another computer to work with to create tools etc. that may help fix this one?  Or do you think we can do some of this stuff on this computer?  Are you able to browse the web and download stuff?

In the future try to remember to post Specs in your first post if possible.  Makes them easier to find, and critical to others helping you.  Don't worry, even I forget sometimes.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 johnedee

johnedee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

To all concerned folks who were kind enough to assist me, even the help that ragged about windows 10 in an 8 yr old PC  I am a true fan for life of Tweaking .com! I ran the utility and BAM on reboot everything came back. 

I know its an old PC, not worth a nickle, and it would have killed me to lose all the pix that I have.

To all who asked: originally was windows 2007 OS, 64 bit, been running windows 10 Home edition since 2015 , currently running windows 10 version 1607.

When i upgraded to version 1511 long time back is when I ran into upgrade issues. Tech was surprised it ran at all. You see apparently I am running a hybrid of Windows 2007 and Windows 10. go figure. Still WOWED that it all came back. 

Thanks to all!

JD

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:57 PM

That's great to hear, what did you run from Tweaking "Windows Repair v4.0.12"?

We would all love to know what Model computer you are able to run Windows 10 on.  I'm always curious about these things.  I've heard of folks running 10 on older machines than yours even.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

You should be getting Windows version 1709. Microsoft has pushed that version to all users. Version 1607 end of life is scheduled for March 2018.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

Windows-10-lifecycle-history-and-estimat

#11 jingle

jingle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

You are lucky.  Tweaking.com has just destroyed my computer!  All I get after the white writing is a black screen - nothing else!

I have used it for years now and again.  It may not have done any good but it did no harm.

Like you, I have an oldish desktop with a few annoying habits, so I ran T.com.

Eventually, it finished and asked if I wanted to restart, I has asked for a Ch. disc on restart.  It never restarted.

It seems it needs a clean reinstall of W 10.  This will lose everything!  It is auto backed up on a second drive but I do not know what can be retrieved?

Obviously with all this hassle, lost time and quite a lot of money to pay I thing, "Bleeping Computers" should remove the programme.  A bit of compensation would be nice too but maybe that would be asking too much! 

IF ANYONE COULD OFFER ANY IDEAS TO HELP, I WOULD BE GRATEFUL.

THANKS FOLKS.

Edited by jingle, 12 February 2018 - 12:19 PM.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

@Johnedee...

I suggest you immediately create an image backup of your main partition; don't trust that now all is going to be well from now on. Old computers running new technology can be cranky and unstable. If you had a backup image when your problems first started, you could have just re-imaged and in a few minutes you are back up and running, including all your valuable pics and data. Just a thought.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 jingle

jingle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Ranchhand.  Until the repair shop can fix it, it is dead.  I will have to look up what an, "Image Backup" is.. The second hard drive is on, "Auto Backup", isthat the same thing?  The problems were rather small, an odd programme would crash, usually photo editing.

Thanks

#14 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

jingle:

I am sorry to hear of your experience with the Tweaking.com Windows Repair All-in-One program.  They have active Forums over here.  I visit their Forums daily, and they are very helpful, particularly Tom Boggin, one of the Moderators.  I know that they will do what they can to help you out.  What you are describing is unusual because there are not many issues being reported on their Forums where the program malfunctions and wrecks a computer.  Normally it is very good at what it does.  I have used it very occasionally myself, and I have also requested that users here run the program to fix various issues, with success, when necessary, for cleaning up after a malware infection.

Good luck.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

PS: I am not affiliated with Tweaking.com.  I am just a registered owner of Windows Repair AIO Pro, Version 4, and a member of the Forums there.

Edited by garioch7, 12 February 2018 - 01:03 PM.

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

I know its an old PC, not worth a nickle, and it would have killed me to lose all the pix that I have. JD

Thanks for letting us know you are good. I have 2 Win10 computers that were born as Windows 7, still running as good as new.

Consider creating system image backups as well as data backups especially your pics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users