Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

?s About Win/nt & Win/xp2p2

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 loveablekitty

loveablekitty

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

What is the differents with win/NT and win/XP2p2 ? and can one use NTRegopt/ERunt with XP2p2?
if not what program do you advice. THx you much, :thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 29 September 2006 - 08:27 PM.

Remember, if you haven't got a smile on your face and
laughter in your heart......Then you are just an old sour fart.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

Window NT was the beginning of the Microsoft Operating Systems that were designed for the extra security and networking that business' needed. As the computer world matured there came a need for this technology for all computers (this was back when Windows 95, 98, and ME were around). So, starting with Windows 2000 Microsoft made a change and started to offer this "business" setup to home users. With Windows XP the transition was finally made fully - and now the desktop operating systems are the same for business and home users. Businesses now use Server OS's to run their servers and desktop OS's to run their desktops.

Windows XP is "based" on Windows NT, but it also has some of it's roots in the Windows 9x operating systems.

ERUNT and NTREGOPT are great programs that were designed to work with XP - so there's no problem there. Read the notes that come with ERUNT so that you can automate the backup of your registry. Although I like NTREGOPT, I wouldn't recommend using it unless there's a specific problem with the registry - too much use increases the chances of corruption within the registry.

Another good program to try (initially recommended by Enthusiast) is the Microsoft Live system scanner. In addition to malware detection and removal, it also scans your registry and picks up bad keys that may need to be removed. You can find it here: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 loveablekitty

loveablekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

THank you so much usasma, I made a copy of your post for furture reference and i'll look into the Microsoft Live system scanner . I do have some small prb with my registry that REGISTRY MECHANIC by spyware doctor always picks ups tho says not a threat, and since I really dont know much about the registry I feel its best to take your advice and leave ntregopt alone,and uninstall it also ERUNT .as for notes? unless I have to go into it to read these (which I havent because Im scared to lol ) I dont know of any notes ,tho I did read the page before downloading it not much said . thank again John
L -KIT

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:15 AM

ntregopt supposedly does not delete anything from the registry but "compacts it".

The safest registry scanner is the free Windows Live Onecare Free Scan which usasma recommended.

(It will say "Get a free PC safety scan")
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

It will also scan for malware and other problems in your system and is a Microsoft product made for XP so you do not need to be afraid to use it.

As with anything that alters your system I recommend creating a Windows System Restore point before you use it (or anything else including installing any program)
To access System Restore:
Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

and follow the prompts to create a restore point.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 October 2006 - 04:16 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:01 AM

The notes in ERUNT are contained in the files that you downloaded. In it, it will describe a method to backup your registry on a daily basis. The best part of this is that it also describes how to create backups based on the day of the week.

With this, each day a new backup will automatically be made. And, it will overwrite the one from the previous week. So, you'll always have 7 days worth of current backups stored on your disk.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 loveablekitty

loveablekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

Thank you Enthus and John you guys a great. I did uninstall the ERUNT, and the scann from WINDOWS LIVE I feel I can work with it w/ more confidence, then with ERUNT tho I do like the daily feature . so I might install it again at a later date. Thxs again L-Kit

#7 loveablekitty

loveablekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

JOHN? or Enthusiast? EVERYTIME I go to this http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
I get this DONE BUT WITH ERROR and I can't install I can click full service scan and I go to the next page which has the install button but it does nothing. I have tryed many times from here and copy paste addr tryed going thru yahoo seach etc etc but it alway has the error. I have ran all my scans ,spybot s&d clean,,,, spyware doctor reported infections in c/temp/ie and registry mechinic found things I repaired all ( i hope) but still has err I made an log post in "am I infected? dont know what to do, it seems that as I try to protect my CP more things are going wrong . I'm at a point to unplug it or drag one of you thru the screen and say SIT AND FIX lol ( IM a greattt cook wink) Im so sry to be a pain but I can sure need some help . To be honest racing and mantaining & understanding my modify was easy lol for the humpteen time thank you......L-KIt

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

If I remember correctly, you had a problem with Java or flash some time back. Was this problem solved?
Use Internet Explorer browser when doing the Live Care scans. If Spyware Doctor is telling you you have malware and it identifies the malware, please post the info on the malware identity.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

If you're doing the Live scan, I'd suggest disabling all antispyware apps (except Windows Defender) to prevent conflicts.

And, as buddy215 said, if your java problem wasn't rectified, this may be a part of the problem.

Finally, any popup blockers that you have should be disabled.

From your description of your problems with IE - you may have to repair IE in order to get it to work correctly. With SP2 all you have to do is uninstall SP2, then reinstall it (and go through the loooong process of getting all your updates back).

#10 loveablekitty

loveablekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

HI Buddy and thx the flash prob is fixed I downloaded it and it installed ok. np so far now for IE browser ? do you mean use exployer bar to do search for the site windows live one care? dont use yahoo or google which is what I use only. I cant find a name it just say KNOWN BAD SITE hope ok to post the log here

10/1/2006 1:00:02 AM
scan stop: 10/1/2006 1:49:51 AM
scanned items: 95693
found items: 7
found and ignored: 0
tools used: General Scanner, Process Scanner, LSP Scanner, Startup Scanner, Registry Scanner, Hosts Scanner, Browser Scanner, Browser Activity Scanner, Disk Scanner, ActiveX Scanner

Infection Name Location Risk
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\5843XHKL\crd_it_lre_PassStRtCredCowboyDanceMoon15s_CW510_1698new_0906_728x90[1].htm High
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\93VBHXCM\crd_it_lre_PassStRtCredCoupleDanceWhite15s_CW510_1698TP_0906_728x90[1].htm High
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\93VBHXCM\DartRichMedia_1_03[1].htm High
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MLJWL03M\uhl_it_lre_PassStRtCredGoggleDogSeePymt15s_CW510_1698TP_0906_300x250[1].htm High
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UHCNQPA1\CAMFWPM7.htm High
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UHCNQPA1\flashwrite_1_2[1].htm High
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WX85UB0P\CAMVW967.htm High

Scan Results:
scan start: 10/1/2006 1:29:15 PM
scan stop: 10/1/2006 2:05:38 PM
scanned items: 95804
found items: 2
found and ignored: 0
tools used: General Scanner, Process Scanner, LSP Scanner, Startup Scanner, Registry Scanner, Hosts Scanner, Browser Scanner, Browser Activity Scanner, Disk Scanner, ActiveX Scanner

Infection Name Location Risk
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\93VBHXCM\lmb_lre_PassStRtCredScarfDanceWhiteNoBord15s_CW510_1698TP_0906_300x25[1].htm Low
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settings\KIT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MLJWL03M\DartRichMedia_1_03[1].htm
maybe you can see the probs in this

John thx again may I ask where is window defender is ? and I should say that I had to turn off the microsofts windows updates and securty feature because it says IM not genuine ( that window box that pops up when you restart) so if I uninstall sp2 will that cause a prob ? I dont have the disk for win/xp2002. should I try again w/everything off what about the firewall ?

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:43 AM

Delete your temporary internet files:

In IE, click tools, then Internet Options, then in the Temporary Internet Section press "Delete Files".

Delete your computer's temp files:

Click on your "My Computer" icon on your desktop
then right click on your hard drive (probably C:)
then choose "Properties"
Then press the "Disk Cleanup" button

Wait until the box is populated with a list of options.
Uncheck everything except temporary files
Allow it to delete the temp files.

Your inability to use the Windows Live Onecare Free Scan may be due to improper settings for Active X, which is required to be enabled for the scan to work:

Make sure your Active X settings are as below:

Active X settings IE

In Internet Explorer click on the “tools” tab
Click on “Internet Options”
Click the “Security” tab
Click “Custom Level”

Under Active X Controls and Plugins

Download Signed Active X Controls
Choose “prompt”

Download Unsigned Active X Controls
Choose disable

Initialize and Script Active X controls not marked as safe
Disable

Run Active X controls and plugins
Enable

Script Active X Controls marked as safe
Enable

Reboot the computer and return to the Windows One Care scan site.

When you click to start the scan you will see a yellow band (prompt) across the top of your IE Window.
Allow downloading of the Active X control.

Allow the scan to complete.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 October 2006 - 02:45 AM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

Uhh, Windows not genuine popups? This is probably the reason you can't use Windows One Care. Do you need advice on how to get legal?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 loveablekitty

loveablekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

Enthusiast, I have made a copy of your post thx "o} I havent done it yet .... spent so much time today doing what DASOS told me to do (using EWIDO & ATF IN SAFEMODE - CLEAN nothing found- but I will get to it lol

buddy215 any and all advice is APPRECIATED "O} please dont say I need to buy it "o{ as much as I hate that darn BOX everytime I have to restart and click LATER lol I cant afford it. Thx guys so much for all your doing for me L-KIT

#14 loveablekitty

loveablekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

Hi guys, update; I DL & installed EWIDO & ATF cleaner and ran scan in safe mode as DASOS (in I"M I infected) asked me to do. scan was clean, then today I scan with spywareDr all was clean sent him a log.
Enthusiast I did the Delete your temporary internet files following your direc, I did that before scanning with EWIDO. tryed Windows One Care scan site again still the same thing now as for using Internet Explorer browser I must not have intalled or I need to do something?? when I go to view click explore bar then seach I get this

Please try the following:

Open the lg.home.microsoft.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.
I havent done it yet because Im wondering ABOUT w/ Buddy saying and IF because microsoft dosent see my windows as "genuine " it wont let me use IE Brower ?????? new question> win/XPsp2 was install with pro/disk by my CP man in calif -Im now in mo-( he the one who gave & set up this comp) it has alway worked fine, could do all update/ security essentals etc etc now I cant since may 06 and that box is there " this copy of windows is not genuine" I looked in forum but cant find anything . no live care it seems and IM feeling me probs are bigger then working out bugs or infections hmmmmmmmm THX again guys L-KIT

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

The problem is, if Microsoft doesn't recognize Windows as genuine, you can't get the updates and patches which creates security problems for your computer.

If you unknowingly received a pirated operating system, Microsoft will help you out to a certain extent. If you can prove that your copy is actually genuine, they will also help you out.

Read through the questions on this link to chase down the answers to the questions relevant to your situation.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 October 2006 - 11:43 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users