Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

Im wanting to upgrade the ram on my computer but im wanting to make sure i get the right type. My computer is a 1.3ghz amd duron with 512mb ram. On the side of the ram it says: 512mb-64mx64dimm pc2100-ddr sdram. Would this be the right type to buy?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Memory---Desk...cat/*Clearance*

Im looking to just double the ram up to just over a gig as i only use the computer for the internet mostly and would like it to do it a bit quicker. Sorry if this is in the wrong area but can it be moved if it is, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:07 AM

If you go to any major brand web site they will have a system where you plug in information about you computer/motherboard and it will list the modules that they know will be compatible with yours.

If you a running PC2100 and they list something faster like PC2700 you should be aware that they may work, but they will only run as fast as the slower PC2100.

One suggestion I would make is to stay away from value RAM, some boards don't perform well with them, Kingston comes to mind when I think about it. I use Crucial, and haven't had any bad modules yet, but everyone has a problem now and then.

http://www.crucial.com/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

Thanks, that site had a self check tool which told me what i had already got, how many slots are available and which i could buy. It says to use two of one type of memoryeg. 2x256 instead of 1x512. Ive oedered one of the same as ive already got so ill have 2x 512mb sticks so hopefully my computer will be quicker.

#4 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:50 PM

I bought this in the end http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Memory---Desk...cat/*Clearance*
and fitted it today and my computer runs alot quicker now and can do things like spyware scans in much less time than before, i can run more than one scan at a time now and not slow it down too much. Ive had my system crash once since installing it but that was a problem with outlook that was sorted by the ms repair tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users