Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ATA erase: NULL error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mac29

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

I'm trying to get a hard drive working that has/had data on it. Tried OBCD's PartedMagic and 'Disk (External), writing 'dd' over all after I deleted the partition. Tried my 8.1 install disc but it gives Recovery error 'your pc needs to be repaired'.

Tried PM's secure erase 'Internal" w/writes zeros over all but get the error 'A password is to be used in conjunction w/this command' enter or use NULL, but when I try 'NULL' I receive 'In event of an unexpected issue ...' could brick the drive.

I'm afraid other methods may also brick the drive. Should I try FDISK or some other method from UBCD? If I can solve this I'm sure my install will work. Alternatively, might there be something in the Bios that's causing problems, w/I can alter using UBCD?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2018 - 05:39 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,123 posts
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

You don't need to zero the disk if you only want to install a new OS. What is the make and model of the computer? Did Windows 8.1 come pre-installed on the computer?

If yes then do a clean install per the following post. It a guide for Windows 10 but the steps are the same for Windows 8.1. Because the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware if the computer was an OEM like HP or Dell. It's important you also initialize the disk as GPT. 

You can get the latest updated iso if 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users