Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost start menu. Windows key, screen icon don't work. Stuck. Please help

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 splungee

splungee

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi all.  I suspect this occurred after a recent Windows 10 update.  I find the windows keyboard key and the clicking the windows screen icon don't bring up the start menu, cortana etc.  The search option in the task abr doesn't work consistently.  I DL'd windows start menu diagnostics app which initially reported the tile database was messed up and tried to repair it.  The screen was black and I let it run overnight with no apparent change.  I stopped it, restarted a few times without improvement.  I reran the startmenudiag app and it reported no errors.  

Now I'm running Tweaking.com Windows Repair 2018 which I found on this website, I believe a while back.  It's been running for some 9 hours and is stuck at "Running Repair Under System Account"  and "Repair jobs 2/47"  I hesitate to interrupt it, but I have no idea if it's making progress or just stuck.

I researched fixing a tile database problem and some sites suggested creating a new user account but I can't access Settings to create a new account.  

Post script:  while Windows repair is running, I tried startmenudiag again.  It's saying "Resolving Problems" and is running "registering applications".

Thanks in advance for any advice!  I consider myself an advanced beginner in troubleshooting.  I know enough to make a small problem a big one!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 splungee

splungee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

Thank you DC3

I can't use search.  I can access the command prompt from Run menu, but it is not as administrator and sfc won't run.

I tried to create a new user account but local user manager gave error message snapin does not work with this version of Windows 10 and recommended making new user in settings.  Similarly using the cmd prompt with command "net user name /add" didn't work.  trying to add a user with Run>control panel>User accounts, but that led me back to settings which won't open.

Any way to open command prompt as admin without the start menu?  I tried Run>cmd control/shift/enter but this didn't get admin.  

Oddly enough, clicking the microphone icon next to the search bar gets a response from cortana, but it doesn't seem to hear my voice over the microphone (never sued this even when it was working)

Edited by splungee, 23 January 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Can you bring up the context menu by pressing the Windows key + X? There is the option to run cmd as admin. It may be powershell on later versions of Windows 10.

Did you attempt to start CMD from Task Manager. Crtl + Alt + Del. File > New Task > Run.  Typing in CMD will open the command prompt as admin.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 January 2018 - 09:43 PM.

#5 splungee

splungee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

No luck.  Win+X doesn't do anything

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

How about accessing CMD through Task Manager. I edited my previous post.

#7 splungee

splungee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Yay, it's running. I may not post the results until tomorrow if it runs long.  

Until then, thanks

If it doesn't work, maybe using the cmd with admin can let me make a new user.  I understand that has fixed this issue for others

Edited by splungee, 23 January 2018 - 10:34 PM.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

You need to download or reinstall Classic Shell to bring back the start menu.

#9 splungee

splungee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

JohnC_21, it ran fairly quickly.  I saved the CBS notepad note to my Dropbox folder (I already use it to share docs between devices) but am not sure how to share it to another via Drop box.  Is there a way to upload the file to the site?

Never mind- here's the link  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd1jzasw9vucdvo/CBS.log?dl=0

Edited by splungee, 23 January 2018 - 11:27 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

I am not very good at looking at CBS logs. I would wait until you hear from dc3 but Dropdox does allow you to post a link to your file.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-outside-dropbox

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Run sfc /scannow again and then the command in dc3's post. You copy and past the contents of the text file into your next post.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522372/how-do-i-open-to-see-the-cbslog-after-running-sfcscannowwdi-service-host/?p=3273682

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Removed content not pertinent to this topic.

Edited by dc3, 24 January 2018 - 10:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

try logging out and then log back in, see if that works.

If it does and if your using a laptop, disconnect the cat5 ethernet cable and see how it works wirelessly

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

JohnC_21, it ran fairly quickly.  I saved the CBS notepad note to my Dropbox folder (I already use it to share docs between devices) but am not sure how to share it to another via Drop box.  Is there a way to upload the file to the site?

Never mind- here's the link  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd1jzasw9vucdvo/CBS.log?dl=0

The problem with a CBS log is that it is quite large which will mean that you will need to break the log into sections and post those sections in your topic.  Copy and paste a section, post it in your topic and post that section, repeat this until you have the whole log posted. 

Edited by dc3, 24 January 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

One can attach files in this forum, so one could attach the CBS log.

In Notepad, you can also simply do a CTRL+A to select the entire log, CTRL+C to copy what you've selected, and then when you're in the edit box for these forums hit CTRL+V to paste it.

I personally prefer the attachment route.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users