Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell m4500 laptop won't boot, no bsod, no bios, no splash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pyro926

pyro926

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

When I press the power button the wi-fi light turns on and the HDD spins, then the fan spins for a second then shuts off. Then the 3 blue lights (number lock, caps lock, scroll lock) at the top of the keyboard light up. The two on the right stay solid but the number lock blinks. The screen stays dark the entire time.

There was no trauma the the laptop that I know of, and it worked property last time I used it (last week). 

I have tried removing and re-installing the processor, ram, hdd, dvd drive, battery, and every combination I could think of. Another site said the flashing numberlock indicated a need to reset or replace the processor or the motherboard. 

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I appologize if I forgot any details, thank you for your time. 

-G.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

You pretty much covered everything. If you have more than one RAM stick try only one and swap slots. If that doesn't work try the other stick and swap slots.

Have you tried a powercycle. Pull the battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter but leave out the battery and boot.

Sometimes a bad CMOS battery can make things flaky.

#3 pyro926

pyro926
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

No luck there either.

I've never had a processor go bad, how common is that? I don't want to throw a bunch of money at this thing, but $30-$40 for a used processor might be worth it. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

CPUs going bad is rare, at least for me. If you have a multimeter you can verify the voltage at the power adapter plug. 

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

Sounds like a bad battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users