Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptops work for many hours and then freeze after RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 3d1l

3d1l

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

Hello there,

I have two laptops that were working slowly. Same manufacturer, same model; Lenovo Thinkpad E560. They were running multiple programs at the same time and checking performance options noticed that the memory was 95% to 100% constantly. CPU, Disk and Network were fine. They came with a 4 Gb RAM module so I decided to install a second identical 4Gb RAM module to double the memory. I have included the photos of both sides of the RAM module for you to see.

After installing the second module the POST test was ok, the laptops boots fine, Windows 10 Pro 1703 loads without problems and when checking on Settings -> System -> About, the Installed RAM showed as 7.9 Gb of RAM. The laptops were working for 5 hours under heavy usage and then they freeze. What I mean by Freez is not that I have a BSOD or a crash to a black screen or some type of error. They just freeze, you can see all the programs that were running at the moment. If there was a windows with a progress bar (download, file copy, some sort of process), it just freeze. The mouse cursor doesn't move, the keyboard dosn't work, if there was a video it just freeze, nothing happens. Is as if you put the computer in pause. So the laptops have to be forcefully reset pressing and holding the power button.

Again both RAM modules were identical but for troubleshooting I decided to purchase two new single 8Gb RAM modules of the same specs one for each laptop: DDLR3L - 1600 SODIMM 1.35V. The only difference is that they are 8Gb instead of 4 Gb. I also included photos of the case were they came for you to see. So I removed both 4Gb RAM modules and installed the single 8Gb RAM module on both computers. The POST test was ok, the laptop boots fine, Windows 10 1703 loads without problems and when checking on Settings -> System -> About, the Installed RAM showed as 7.9 Gb of RAM. This time the laptops were working for 6 hours under heavy usage and then they freeze. Same symptoms the laptops just stood still nothing can be done but to force a reset. This is happening on two different laptops of the same manufacturer/model. This was not happening when they have the original 4 Gb RAM module, they were working slow but they were not freezing.

You will see three photos, two photos of both sides of one of the 4Gb RAM modules and one photo of the case were the 8Gb RAM module came. Don't pay attention to what I wrote on the case. Is just that I put the 4 Gb modules in the case and to not get confused I wrote that.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

Hey no ideas?

I was able to take photos of the 8 Gb module. Included are both sides of one of the modules. Any suggestions?

Attached Files

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

• Download and save Speccy from here. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard
• Navigate to the directory in which you saved the ZIP file.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe (or Speccy.exe, if your system is 32-bit), and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
• Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

#4 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

HyperHery thanks you very much for your response. Sadly I has not been able to run what you told me but I will do it as soon as possible and will post the results.

#5 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

HyperHenry again my apologies for the delay. Here is the link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nyc0bqgPZ11mUBgfG6WWZV8

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

So you're having the same issue on more than one laptop at the same time?

#7 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

I ran the utility in only one computer because the other one has been working without freezing. Anyways the other one is identical in components. Lenovo Thinkpad E560.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users