Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Connection - Error Renaming Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AJStevens

AJStevens

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

"Error Renaming Connection"

"Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different name."

Except it doesn't, or does.. Windows 10 seems confused.

So... I ran Windows Updates and update to 1709, I have an Intel® Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM and I had VLANs configured.

After the update, VLANs all gone... find I think, I'll do the usual, clear out the network adapters, but none are appearing in the device manager, I've run a command prompt as admin, done set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 (also tried with device instead) and then launched devmgmt.msc from the same command prompt.. nothing is hidden in network devices, but is in other categories.

Ok, so I go into the registry and delete the entries under the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Adaptors Interfaces, and DNSRegisteredAdapters

So, I tried PowerShell

Rename-NetAdapter -Name "Ethernet" -NewName "EthernetBroken"

"No MSF_NetAdapter objects found with property 'Name' equal to 'Ethernet'. Verify the value of the property and retry.

Ok.... except when I run rename on a valid connector that Windows has called Ethernet 2 I get:

Rename-NetAdapter -Name "Ethernet 2" -NewName "Ethernet"

"{Object Exists} An attempt was made to create an object and the object name already existed.

Why is this a problem you ask? Well it's done it for all the VLAN connection names previously, so I can't reuse any of them, I did have some scripts and tasks for enabling and disabling them by name and I would rather not change them all, plus what's to stop this happening again on the next update.

I've obviously just updated Windows, I've rebooted more times than I can remember, I used the winsock reset, ip reset, I did the network reset in network properties, I update the driver for the nic. I've gone through everything I can think of, I'm now searching the whole of the registry for the name of any of the previous VLAN connection names to see if I can find something... urgh.

Very irritating, anyone else had this and can help? Guess I should destroy all VLANs before updating Windows 10 next time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the commands below one at a time and pressing Enter after each command is pasted in.  After the first command you may be asked to restart the computer, ignore it and go on to the second command.

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

Close the Command Prompt and restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AJStevens

AJStevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the commands below one at a time and pressing Enter after each command is pasted in.  After the first command you may be asked to restart the computer, ignore it and go on to the second command.

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

Close the Command Prompt and restart the computer.

I've obviously just updated Windows, I've rebooted more times than I can remember, I used the winsock reset, ip reset, I did the network reset in network properties, I update the driver for the nic. I've gone through everything I can think of, I'm now searching the whole of the registry for the name of any of the previous VLAN connection names to see if I can find something... urgh.

Very irritating, anyone else had this and can help? Guess I should destroy all VLANs before updating Windows 10 next time.

I reverted back to my previous Windows 10 build from the system menu, then I removed and uninstalled all my networking, my av and vm software for good measure, had a simple nic and re-ran the update, I'm now back on 1709 with all updates and latest Intel drivers, but VLANs won't work, the virtual nics won't enable.

So I've gone over to the Intel forums to see what's up, this happened before on 1511/1607 and was a combined Microsoft/Intel mess up.

Edited by AJStevens, 23 January 2018 - 02:37 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Why are you using virtual LAN?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users