Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to login after Win10 update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

I recently loaded a Win10 update which took a long time and had several restarts. After the Update I
couldn't login with my administrator user. I get the message 'The user profile service service failed
the sign in. User profile cannot be loaded'. I can get in using the 'User' profile but have no access to my administrator desktop with the icons and shortcuts I had set up. I have run sfc /verifyonly and this returns a no problem answer.
Can anyone help please? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

try doing a system restore to a date previous of that update from the account you CAN login to

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

I assume you have two accounts, one being an administrator account and the other a regular user account without admin access, correct?

If you do not have any System Restore Points you can enable the hidden Administrator Account and use that to create a new administrator account profile or attempt to fix the corrupted one.

On another computer download and run Lazesoft Windows Password Recovery Home to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. Boot the media and enable the Hidden Administrator Account.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-administrator-password.html

Click the Unlock Button.

#4 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

Hi, mikey11 and JohnC_21,

There is a restore point from immediately before the update and I have restored to that. I can now access my administrator user id and desktop. So I think that solves the issue for me, thanks. There were two accounts, User  and my administrator a/c which I couldn't get into. Surprisingly I was able to get in on the User a/c which does not have administrative permissions (and has no password) and from that was able to set up an administrator user with full access to everything! Something strange there.

I was reluctant to use system restore as I have previously had problems with it. But then I have also had issues with File History which I no longer use, and with System Image files which when booted from have reformatted the drive and left it with no operating system. I must have a gremlin in my fingers!

Anyway thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. All seems to be OK now.

After the restore windows loaded some more updates, but they loaded very quickly. Presumably the big update which caused this problem for me will be offered again, it was classed as 'critical'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users