Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira and system recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tankonpoint

tankonpoint

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:38 AM

SYSTEM INFO: HP ALL-IN-ONE Windows 8.1
I am an above average user
My issue is that I cannot use a recovery point (none for that matter) because Avira is blocking the attempt. I'm unable to start windows at all because of a video driver I just updated is giving me a BSOD. I am willing to uninstall avira, turn it off or some other option so I can startup. NO GO with a Safe Mode boot for same reason. Can someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

What makes you think that Avira is blocking your efforts?

And...how do you know that a video driver is involved with your situation?

Please...post any onscreen error messages received on which you base these assertions.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

It would help if you post the model of this HP All in one.

In order to boot into Safe Mode you will need to be able to start Windows.  You would need to type msconfig in the search box to open System Configuration.  From there you can click/tap on the Boot tab, place a check in the Safe boot box, click/tap on Apply, then click/tap on OK.

Since you can't boot into Windows you will need the installation media to do a Automatic Repair.  If you don't have the installation media you can download a ISO file which can be used to create a Windows 8.1 installation disc.  The only determining factor here is that you must have Windows 8.1 installed.

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.  Click/tap on this link to go the the website.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

The instructions a easy to follow, so there shouldn't be any problems as long as you follow the instructions.

Once you have the installation disc you will need to boot from it.  In order to do this you may need to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and make the ssd/hdd the second device.

Start the computer so you can open the tray of the optical drive and place the Windows 8.1 installation disc in it, then shut the tray and turn off the computer or restart it.

When the installation disc begins the installation you will see a image like the one below.  Click/tap on Repair your computer, or press the R key.

S6fc8dp.png

You will now begin the Automatic Repair, select Troubleshoot from the options.

UD3vNWb.png

Select Automatic Repair.

4boESsU.png

Edited by dc3, 27 January 2018 - 01:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users