Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN For the Family

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Has anyone ever setup a VPN to connect family households together? I wanted to setup some LAN based services that I could share with my parents that live a few states over like the NAS I just put all our family photos on and possibly a web filter so they can't click on everything. I don't see any big problems in this except there could be hardware/isp limitations. This could be a completely awful idea but I though it might be worth looking into and could not find the right phrase to goolge to bring up any articals.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ciderZA

ciderZA

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:46 AM

Has anyone ever setup a VPN to connect family households together? I wanted to setup some LAN based services that I could share with my parents that live a few states over like the NAS I just put all our family photos on and possibly a web filter so they can't click on everything. I don't see any big problems in this except there could be hardware/isp limitations. This could be a completely awful idea but I though it might be worth looking into and could not find the right phrase to goolge to bring up any articals.

Are you specifically looking for a VPN? Reason I ask this is because I have Plex running for Media which is shared via Plex site with parents and I generally just share my google photos as an album or whatever (they get emailed a link). 

However if you want a VPN , this is a different story and depending on your setup this could difficult to implement. 

Edited by ciderZA, 22 January 2018 - 02:47 AM.

#3 wendellhill

wendellhill

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Hello, PCeditorpro, Well there are many VPNs providers available in the market, and they claimed they provide the best service, but all VPNs are not useful. All providers offer as per the plan package up to 4 to 5 users multiple logins, but NordVPN provides simultaneously approx 6 user multiple logins and provides best VPN service. If you are talking about price its cheap on the list of best VPN. Works fine with Netflix and Hulu, Access Onion Websites via Onion over and Lightweight Chrome Proxy Extension. NordVPN is the only VPN provider in the industry that offers the most number of features in its package plans

#4 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

I know a freind of mine was part of a company where they had 2 remote locations the had a vpn connection to the main office. When someone used the internet and it would show as if they were at the main office. They also had access to everything even the printer at the main office and the other way around. Something similar but with my network being the main office.

#5 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

I know a freind of mine was part of a company where they had 2 remote locations the had a vpn connection to the main office. When someone used the internet and it would show as if they were at the main office. They also had access to everything even the printer at the main office and the other way around. Something similar but with my network being the main office.

You're thinking of a WAN (Wide Area Network). You want to connect both LAN networks together and use a VPN to tunnel traffic back and forth. 

How good are you at networking? Because this isn't just something you can be easily set up, you'll have to create a VPN on both routers and then start routing LAN traffic through it to one another. That's if your routers can even support this function, a lot of routers can but if we're talking about ISP provided equipment your odds are a lot less likely. This is all also just the tip of the iceberg, we're not getting into the negative effects it may have on bandwidth either, etc.

Save yourself the headache and find another service to share files with them.

Edited by C0bra, 31 January 2018 - 09:45 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#6 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hello,I would suggest Vypr-VPN I am very happy with their service and support(only my oppinion,you could at least read on golden frog`s Website) :notme:

#7 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

Ok after a bunch of googling and reading about 50 networking textbooks. I think I have it figured out. So what I need to do is create a IPsec vpn tunnel and set it so instead of only internal traffic to go between sites I can set it for all traffic. I can invest in a few small cisco routers for the remote location like my parents house and invest in something a little more higher end for my network. As for isp limits I don't think that will be an issue because I'm moving and going from a 15mb connecton to 150mb with no data cap for less then I'm paying now. My biggest concern will be the modem or what ever my isp gives me when I start my new service and will it be able to handle to being in the middle off everything. I remember setting up something similar in high school but it was only for a chromebook to connect and the software was builtin to the router so I could get around the school web filter to watch netflix but if I connected more then one chromebook it was all over that comcast modem could never handle it. The router could it would never get over 40% usage on the cpu or memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users