Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System reserved partition full?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Hello, I am unable to update to the new window fall creator's update because my system reserved partition is full.  I have tried to extend the partition from 500 MB to around 750 with Mini Tool partition Wizard but this failed to work.  When using the explore tool from Mini Tool Partition Wizard I discovered I had a ~470MB Acronis Backup Image on the partition.  I was wondering if there was an easy and safe way to get rid of the backup file so I can upgrade to the newest Windows 10 version.  It is a GPT partition and is officially labeled *:ESP with FAT32 and GPT (EFI System Partition), status is Active and System.  I hope this is enough information.

-Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

Acronis Community Manager

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Hello kwjamesblond! Acronis rep here!

Can you share photos that would explain what you said above? 

#3 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

Here's a pictureAttached File  SRP-.JPG   59.21KB   2 downloads

#4 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

That's really strange. 

It looks like someone previously mounted ESP partition and did the backup with Acronis True Image.

If you are sure you don't need that backup then you're totally fine to delete that. 

Alternatively I would recommend to use trial of Acronis True Image 2018 to read the backup content to determine whether any valuable data is stored in the content.

#5 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

What's the safest way to delete the file then.

#6 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

If explore tool allows you delete operations then you can just delete whole 'Acronis Backups' folder.

#7 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Unfortunately the explore tool does not allow any actions to be performed like deleting.  I also tried to mount the partition in disk management and none of the options there are available.  Does anyone know how to safely delete the backup?

-Thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

Download an iso of Linux Mint Cinnamon. Burn to a DVD or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Boot Mint and do not input anything. Wait until you are at the desktop. Click Computer. Your partitions are in the left pane. You should be able to mount the partition and delete the Acronis folder.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

Because this is Windows 10 you will need to do a couple of steps first. Disable Fast Startup. After disabling fast boot open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands for a complete shutdown. This is required to enable write access for Mint. 

powercfg.exe /hibernate off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

In your UEFI/BIOS settings disable SecureBoot. This is required in order to boot Mint.

Edit: If you do not see your System Partition in the left pane (it may only show your Windows partition) do the following.

Click on the Menu button in the lower left. In the search box type Disks and enter. In the Disks Window Highlight your System Partition then click the Play button to mount the partition. The partition will appear on the desktop. Double click it to browse the contents of the partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#9 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Awesome write-up JohnC_21! Thanks for that I couldn't do it any better! :)

#10 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

Thanks guys that worked!!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

Your Welcome,

Glad Mint sorted out your problem and thanks for the update. You can use Mint at any time should Windows not boot and you need to recover data to a USB flash or external drive.

#12 Lulagreen

Lulagreen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:39 AM

Actually, MiniTool partition wizard should allow you to extend the EFI system partition, and I just guess a 16MB or 128MB other partition blocked the process. I had the same problem before, and deleting this Other partition worked it out. Deleting that partition doesn't affect anything. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

Actually, MiniTool partition wizard should allow you to extend the EFI system partition, and I just guess a 16MB or 128MB other partition blocked the process. I had the same problem before, and deleting this Other partition worked it out. Deleting that partition doesn't affect anything. 

That would be the MSR partition. But, deleting the MSR and expanding the EFI/ESP partition would still have left the Acronis Image in the partition which the OP wanted deleted. 

#14 Lulagreen

Lulagreen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:01 AM

That would be the MSR partition. But, deleting the MSR and expanding the EFI/ESP partition would still have left the Acronis Image in the partition which the OP wanted deleted. 

Indeed, deleting the partition will not delete the Acronis image, and I just think it's simpler and safer for common people to extend the partition than delete file via command. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users