Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1, turn on laptop to black screen and can't do anything.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJohanson

MikeJohanson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Hello,

My computer was running slow yesterday and I decided to refresh my pc. Today I updated it to 8.1, started installing my programs again and my computer was freezing like crazy. I then held the power button to turn it off and then pressed it again to turn it on. Only this time it just left the screen black and I was unable to do anything.

I press the power button on and it shuts off after a few seconds

I press the power button on and I try pressing the F keys to try and get something going and it shuts off

I remove the battery, but the battery back in and turn it on and it stays on but still has the black screen

I have taken the battery out, held power button for 15 seconds, and put it back in to try again and all it does is stay on with a black screen. Battery and power supply are fine as they both can individually power the laptop only if I remove the power source and then put it back in.

I'm normally okay at fixing problems on my computer but this is the first time I can't even get to any menus to try and get something going. 

If anyone has any ideas, if I need to provide more info or can help me in any way I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

Can you see anything when you boot the computer up  (even if only the BIOS/splash screen)

If you still get nothing, have you tried to connect the laptop to an external monitor and see if that shows anything?

Let us know the make and model of your system

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MikeJohanson

MikeJohanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

Can you see anything when you boot the computer up  (even if only the BIOS/splash screen)

If you still get nothing, have you tried to connect the laptop to an external monitor and see if that shows anything?

Let us know the make and model of your system

Sorry, I was away for work and away from the laptop in question.

I see absolutely nothing at all. I connected it to an external monitor and nothing shows up either. The make/model is: 

ASUS S56CB-DS71-CA

Thanks for the reply

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

If you can't see anything on the laptop or with an external monitor, then it's likely that this is a serious hardware problem.

The symptom points to a problem with your video - but that can be caused by many different things.

Are you able to open the case?  If you can, please remember to use good antistatic precautions when working inside the case.

If you can, does the system show video if you remove the hard drive?  How about if you remove/switch around the RAM sticks?

Beyond that, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert advice: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MikeJohanson

MikeJohanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

If you can't see anything on the laptop or with an external monitor, then it's likely that this is a serious hardware problem.

The symptom points to a problem with your video - but that can be caused by many different things.

Are you able to open the case?  If you can, please remember to use good antistatic precautions when working inside the case.

If you can, does the system show video if you remove the hard drive?  How about if you remove/switch around the RAM sticks?

Beyond that, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert advice: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Thanks for the reply.

I took out both the hard drive and the RAM but still nothing happened. I'm going to take your advice and head over there. At first I was thinking it was a windows problem but after all the troubleshooting I too believe it to be a hardware malfunction. Weird how it can happen simply by turning it off and suddenly it doesn't work anymore. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users