Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Legalize drugs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

I'm so tired of the war on drugs not only is it a colossal waste of money but it also creates more problems then it solves. The solution legalize drugs and regulate and tax them, after all Portugal did and there crime rates drop because of it. :)  Heck even Norway Decriminalized Drügs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZxHKPW51U

I mean as long as we're talking about adults here and not children taking drugs no one should care what a full grown adult puts in there body and speaking of that opiods are the real gateway drug and not pot/weed. We need to decriminalize drugs and offer rehab for people who are addicted to drugs, because drug addiction should be a mental health issue not a criminal one.

Please share your thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:13 AM

I have long thought that the drug problem has two solutions. Really heavy sentences for the drug sellers and users, or complete legalisation. Legalisation is by far the cheapest way, if the treatment for problems of drug usage is paid for by the user, and not the NHS. Here in the UK we have made a start by talking about tanks for drug users, where they can use drugs to their hearts content away from normal people. By the way what are the drugs that opioids are a gateway to?

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

@ georgehenry

Opioids are gateway to heroin and other hard drugs. But yet its not properly regulated (at least in the US).

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

Many reasons to legalize: 1. Hits the cartel's wallet and limits funding of terrorists 2. Limits dealers stepping on any said drugs with extenders which can be more physically harmful than the drugs they're trying to stretch for profit increase 3. Frees up prison space for violent criminals vs. victimless drug convictions 4. Law enforcement budgets can be utilized for more pressing matters (this one could be sizable), 5. Some oversight could be implemented to offer help/counseling for the addicted utilizing budget spillover to groups (non governmental) for this purpose 6. ... ran out of reasons but no doubt there are many more that others could chime in on.

One thought: in human nature, it seems if something is denied, the desire for it increases. In the social milieu of illegality regarding drugs, that can whet the attraction as it did in my teens/early twenties. Without, it would be interesting to see the effects.

#5 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Still can't remember my reason 6., (company visiting right now) but for some drugs out there like meth, crack and whatever else, I think those are beyond legalization simply because of their danger and those that make and use the stuff are bug-out crazy.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

Perhaps your Reason #6 was quality control ?

One of the reasons for the high death rate among drug users is that, as an illegal product, there is no externally imposed quality control. When you buy a fix of heroin you have absolutley no idea of how much heroin there is in it or indeed what it has been cut with.

But probably the biggest advantage of legalising the use of drugs is that it cuts the feet out from under the cartels and drug gangs and is no longer financing criminal, and often terrorist, activity. It would also probably improve the working conditions of those who grow and process such natural products as cocaine, heroin and cannabis.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#7 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:09 AM

Heroin is an opioid. Its real name is diamorphine.

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

Quality of available drugs definitely offers an inducive for change, probably more so than stepping on/extending with fillers. Some research re: topic reiterates the points made thus far, but heck, I was for legalization 30+ years ago from reading articles back then.

Consider Prohibition that also led to toxic moonshine (iodine, creosote and even embalming fluid added) for extra kick, Jamaican ginger extract (Jake juice, 70 - 80% ethanol) to bypass laws... with no legalization yet today, a quote comes to mind, though slightly altered: those who forget (recent) history are doomed to repeat it.

Governments, get smarter (pipe dream).

Edited by r.a.d., 23 January 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

@ georgehenry

I know heroin is an opioid, but heroin is sold on the streets and may be laced with other things. Not to mention the biggest factor with addiction is the environment change that and a persons addictions become much easier cure.

#10 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Just 16% Of US Want To Keep Marijuana Laws As They Are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwAmDSMeFA&app=desktop

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

The main reason to legalize marijuana is because legal or illegal people are going to smoke it. 

I personally don't smoke marijuana. :nono:

I make brownies and mix it into the batter and share only with adults on occasions and holidays.

I make certain that on these occasions that I control the distribution of the loaded brownies. :cool:

I'm in my middle sixties and will do what I want regardless of what others say or think. :thumbsup:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#12 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:02 PM

One thing about the legalization of drugs is extensive studies would have to be undertaken to ascertain not only the effects on driving ability but also levels that exceed standards which would have to be set, much like they're now doing with marijuana, especially in the states where it's now legal.
I've got a small amount of excellent, very strong bud, but maybe take a hit or two (all you need) about once a year. It's properly stored and hasn't lost it's potency.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

As with anything that alters ones ability to function the user must exercise responsibility.

When we have a get together at the house anyone who partakes dosen't drive. :nono:

Those who have partook can only leave via a designated driver or cab or spend the night as we are all old responsible adults.

How do I control this is I collect car keys upon entry. :thumbsup:

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Toolman, kudos, excellent practice.
My wife bartended for years and often had to eighty-six some people and call a cab for them.

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Hey r.a.d.,

It's the only way to handle these type of things to insure everyone being safe as we are to old to get a DWI or DUI. :thumbup2:

Yep I'm all for the legalization of marijuana as I find it most enjoyable and know quite a few others who agree. :wink:

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users