Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't mark partition as inactive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 EvilJ

EvilJ

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

I accidentally marked a partition on a drive as active (It was 4AM and I was sleepy lol) and now I can't do a backup of my system because the disk that was accidentally marked as active is too large. I tried going into the CMD and:

Diskpart

Select disk 2

Disk 2 selected

select partition 1

Partition 1 selected

Inactive

The disk is not a fixed MBR disk.

The INACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks.

Well according to disk management, it IS active, and trying to do a backup it's trying to include that 3TB drive as well. Is there something else I can try?

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2018 - 07:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

You probably need a portable, usb-or-DVD bootable, Acronis Disk Director or anything similar in power, ADD costs, so maybe EaseUS, AOMEI, or others may have something that can do the job.  I know that you will mark the correct partition Active later on.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 January 2018 - 12:08 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

I'll give Acronis a look, thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

This is telling me your disk is GPT. GPT disk do not have active partitions. When you list disk in diskpart is there an asterisk under the GPT column?

https://superuser.com/questions/1080946/diskpart-exe-on-windows-7-with-gpt-disk-unable-to-set-partition-active

https://superuser.com/questions/1185812/why-cant-i-make-this-partition-active-on-windows-10

Edit: If you want to make sure if a partition is active or inactive select the partition you wish to inquire about then use the detail partition command. This will list it's details and if the boot partition is active or inactive if the disk is MBR. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2018 - 09:43 PM.

#5 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

This is telling me your disk is GPT. GPT disk do not have active partitions. When you list disk in diskpart is there an asterisk under the GPT column?

https://superuser.com/questions/1080946/diskpart-exe-on-windows-7-with-gpt-disk-unable-to-set-partition-active

https://superuser.com/questions/1185812/why-cant-i-make-this-partition-active-on-windows-10

Edit: If you want to make sure if a partition is active or inactive select the partition you wish to inquire about then use the detail partition command. This will list it's details and if the boot partition is active or inactive if the disk is MBR. 

Yes, there is an asterisk under GPT.

#6 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

Acronis Community Manager

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

You probably need a portable, usb-or-DVD bootable, Acronis Disk Director or anything similar in power, ADD costs, so maybe EaseUS, AOMEI, or others may have something that can do the job.  I know that you will mark the correct partition Active later on.

I'll give Acronis a look, thanks

Hi RolandJS, thanks for mentioning us :)
EvilJ, you can obtain trial version from here.
Should you be willing to buy the product - let me know for a 50% discount :)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

GPT disks do not have active partitions. If there is another MBR hard drive on the system it's possible a partition on it was marked active. Please provide a screenshot of Disk Management.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2018 - 08:59 AM.

#8 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

https://imgur.com/a/YzyVd

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

It is normal to have a System Reserved Partition marked as Active. You do not want to mark it as Not Active. Doing that would render the computer unable to boot. I am sure Disk 0 is an MBR disk.

Please do the following. Click on the box marked Disk 0 to select it. Right click and select Properties. Post a screenshot.

Note: Disk 2 is 3TB and therefore must be formatted as GPT in order to access the full 3TB as MBR only allows a max of 2TB. When you did the diskpart command the asterisk would have been for Disk 2 and not Disk 0.

#10 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:23 AM

It is normal to have a System Reserved Partition marked as Active. You do not want to mark it as Not Active. Doing that would render the computer unable to boot. I am sure Disk 0 is an MBR disk.

Please do the following. Click on the box marked Disk 0 to select it. Right click and select Properties. Post a screenshot.

Note: Disk 2 is 3TB and therefore must be formatted as GPT in order to access the full 3TB as MBR only allows a max of 2TB. When you did the diskpart command the asterisk would have been for Disk 2 and not Disk 0.

I'm not talking about the system reserved partition, it's saying that the partition of disk 2 is active as well, and when I try to do a backup, it says it's too big.

I found a work around though, I just tell Windows to scan disk 2 for errors which forces a dismount, then I do the backup and reboot

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

I don't see how Disk 2 is marked active as it's a GPT disk. At least not in disk management. Where do you see disk 2 marked active?

Open a command prompt.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 2

list partition

select partition 1

detail partition

That would tell you if disk 2 is active. 

#12 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

https://imgur.com/a/DS2y4

Disk 2 has to be active as right clicking it in disk management "Mark as active" is greyed out from having previously and accidentally marked it as active, and Windows backup trying to include it in the backup as a system drive (Unlike my other drive which has not been marked as active)

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

I think you think you marked it active but I can tell you that disk 2 does not have an active partition. The mark active partition is greyed out because the partition table is GPT. If the partition was marked active it would show as such in your diskpart command. You can go ahead and do what you planed but you will get the same greyed out button.

I am not sure why Windows backup is marking it as a System Drive when it is not. If you had an active partition diskpart would show something like the below image.

partition.jpg

Look at your Partition Type: That is indicative of a GPT partition table with no active partitions. It's impossible to mark any partition on a GPT disk as active as GPT disks use a GUID to show which partitions are boot or data partitions.

In the below link you can see your GUID of EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 is a basic data partition on a GPT disk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 January 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#14 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:18 PM

JohnC_21

Well I figured it was active because of my earlier blunder, so it's possible I thought I clicked to make it active when I didn't, but it all boils down to why Windows is thinking it's a system drive, if not for that I wouldn't care, I just want to be able to run backups without having to dismount or disconnect that drive every time

RolandJS

As John said, Acronis won't let me fiddle with that particular drive to mark it as active or inactive. Glad I didn't spend money lol

Edited by EvilJ, 29 January 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

This is Windows own backup program or Acronis?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users