Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting an external HD for file recovery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

Not sure if this was the correct forum, but here goes. 

Have a Windows 7 boot problem, and it was suggested that the first thing to do was try to backup any files I wanted so I didn't lose them. I put a version of Puppy Linux (Xenial) on a stick to boot it up, and I can access my files now. Bought a Lacie external HD, but it needs to be set up. Should I try this on the PC that's affected, or can I do the setup on the laptop I'm using, and then just plug it into the my desktop PC to copy over the files I want?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

There should not be any setup required on the external when using Puppy. Just attach the Lacie and mount it. Copying files and folders in Puppy is a little different than using something like Mint where it's a basic copy and paste operation. That distro is the easiest to use. I set up a canned post for copying files and folders using Puppy linux

Boot Puppy to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda2 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB flash drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Puppy. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB flash drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Puppy. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

#3 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

That didn't work. There was an error that said there wasn't any space left on the device, and the only active button was the cancel button. The HD is brand new out of the box. There is a readme.txt file on the drive that says " Before using the device,Lacie setup software must be launched.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Here is a description of the software. It is used to partition and format the drive into either one or two partitions. From the page it seems the drive ships with no partition.

http://knowledge.lacie.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/007618en

If you have no other Windows computer to run this setup software to partition and format the drive I can give instructions using Puppy to do the same thing without going through the "Setup" software.

Edit: How many TBs is the Lacie drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#5 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

No, I have a laptop that I'm typing from, I use it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

Run the setup software and let it partition and format the disk. In the link I posted there are also instruction on partitioning and formatting the drive using Windows. I'm not sure how this setup software is initialized as the drive is not yet partitioned. Perhaps is auto launches once the drive is attached.

#7 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Got it. Formatted it on the laptop, then plugged it into the desktop with the problems. Tried a jpeg and an mp4, and they both copied over and came up when opened. Now for the other umpteen gigs of files. Thanks JohnC.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users