Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good-bye, HomeGroups

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

This is old news but it's the first I've heard of it.  I don't think I would be too enthused sharing info across the cloud. Supposedly this happens in v1803

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/good-bye-homegroups/

A note about HomeGroup: Easily connecting to and sharing the important pieces of your digital life with those who matter most has never been easier with today’s Modern PCs and the cloud. Whether it’s connecting PCs and printers on your home network via the Share functionality in Windows or using OneDrive to share a photo album of your last vacation, Windows 10 makes connecting multiple devices and sharing content streamlined and simple. And it’s because of that evolution that with today’s build you’ll start to see us retire the HomeGroup service. HomeGroup was terrific for the pre-cloud and pre-mobile era, but today this functionality is built right into Windows 10 and apps. Starting with this build, the HomeGroup service is no longer operational in Windows 10. The user profile used for sharing and the file/folder/printer shares will continue to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

This is old news but it's the first I've heard of it.  I don't think I would be too enthused sharing info across the cloud. Supposedly this happens in v1803

Sharing across the cloud is not "the next logical step" but is already a fait accompli using things like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and the list goes on and on.  People clearly want it, and I share all sorts of information across the cloud via Google Drive, and it makes logical sense that this would become seamlessly integrated into OSes as time goes by.

For myself, I will not miss Homegroups one bit.  I've always had more trouble with this feature than handling things via the "Network" part of the File Explorer tree.  This was particularly the case after Public Folder Sharing was disabled by default.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

I may be wrong but I would have to assume there would be a lot of people who use HomeGroups posting on help forums when they find it gone after getting auto upgraded to 1803. Hopefully Microsoft will give a heads up before the update.

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Sharing across the cloud is not "the next logical step" but is already a fait accompli using things like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and the list goes on and on.  People clearly want it, and I share all sorts of information across the cloud via Google Drive, and it makes logical sense that this would become seamlessly integrated into OSes as time goes by.

For myself, I will not miss Homegroups one bit.  I've always had more trouble with this feature than handling things via the "Network" part of the File Explorer tree.  This was particularly the case after Public Folder Sharing was disabled by default.

britechguy,

I was using a HomeGroup with Windows 10 so that the three PCs in my home could print to each others printers.  That got messed up with a recent Win 10 update, but I was successfully able to create a new HomeGroup (at least for now), and we can once again share printers.

You mentioned using the Network part of the File Explorer tree.  Is that just for sharing folders/files?  How would I go about setting that up for my three home computers?  (My knowledge on home networking is weak)

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Homegroup and Workgroups before it have been a MESS for DECADES.  I have wasted hours, days and weeks trying to tweak or coaxe them to work. 

Like many others, I simply utilize Network features and they have always worked for me since XP.  Sadly - I cannot say the same for Workgroups and Homegroups - particularly in a mixed network - XP, Win 7 and Win 8.1 boxes.

M$ never gave a darn about these problems.  Go look at their Staff responses going back 15 + years.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

Interesting guys, I've always wanted to know more about Homegroups, and have played around a little with them, though abandoned all use of it lately.  I suppose it's good for Printer Sharing in one's home at best.  Maybe file sharing, but that can be achieved in simpler ways.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users