Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pending delete and rename files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:31 AM

In my WinSXS Temporary folder there are hundreds of pending files awaiting renaming and deleting (also ".generalise").  As these appear to be instructions on deleting values and keys from the registry what happens if they are never actioned? 

Also how (if at all), does this affect a clean rebuild of your operating system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:53 AM

If these are temp files they can be deleted.  You can use the Disk Cleanup Tool to do this. 

Click/tap on the Search icon on the left portion of the Taskbar, this icon looks like a magnifying glass.

m9vxVa7.png

Type in Disk Cleanup Tool, Disk Cleanup will appear above, click/tap on it.

You will be asked to select the drive which has the operating system installed on it, this usually is the C: drive.

You will receive a message telling you how much disk space you can free up.  Click/tap on OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

Hi they are .dll and .sys and the folder they are in is called temp.  I assumed that as they are pending when they were actioned, they would automatically vanish.

Disc clean up didnt pick up any temp files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

When you see the options as seen in the image below make sure the option under  Files to delete: make sure the box for Temporary files has a check in its box.  You will probably need to scroll down a bit to see this option.

2rskd2l.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Sorry..... must be the way I phrased it. I saw the option and it was checked but when I say that disc cleanup didnt pick any up, I literally mean there was a 0 against temp files

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Then these are not temp files you are dealing with.  Can you post a screenshot of the information you are seeing?

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

Press the Print Screen to capture its image.

Open Paint and click/tap on Paste

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

#7 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

As requested

Attached Files

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

System files are not temp files.  You should not be able to delete these as they are part of the operating system. 

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Edited by dc3, 21 January 2018 - 01:50 PM.

#9 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Im not sure how we got here!! I have not said they are temp files. I refer you to my original posts that asks what these pending rename and pending deletes under a temp folder would do under certain circumstances

#10 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

The reason Im asking is because I was asked to do a clean install which I did. However sfc /scannow picked up problems after this and I noticed that these 1000 plus files were still present

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Up for some reading???

Clean Up the WinSxS Folder | Microsoft Docs

#12 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thanks dc3, Ill start working my way through that.

I still dont actually understand why they are there after a clean install with nothing additional application wise but this at least gives me a plan. Will advise thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users