Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me upgrade my motherboard and ram for a gaming PC!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket_Finn

Rocket_Finn

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:58 PM

I have upgraded my GPU to a Gigabyte RX480 4gb, my PSU to a Corsair CX500, and my CPU to an AMD FX-8320E Vishera 8-core.

Next, I want to upgrade my motherboard, RAM, and get an SSD.

I'd like a motherboard that has room for improvement for future upgrades.

I would like 16 gb of RAM because I feel like 8 gb just isn't enough now-a-days.

I've never had an SSD before so I need a recommendation for a good one.

I post a lot on this forum about upgrading my PC because I want to learn and maybe make a career out of this someday.

Any help is very much appreciated :)

Here are my specs if you need them:

qJzv30G.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

If you upgrade motherboard AND RAM, then upgrade CPU too. Because that way you can get DDR4 and not already obsolete DDR3.

#3 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

I agree with Drillingmachine here - if you're going to upgrade your motherboard and RAM, you might as well go ahead and upgrade the CPU to get modern tech. I believe the Ryzen (and socket AM4 by extension) is going to be supported for a while if you're looking to stick with AMD.

As far as SSD recommendations go, I like either of these:

Samsung 850 EVO (preferred)

Crucial MX300

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

If you do upgrade to a newer board with DDR4 and new cpu, you may want to consider getting an M.2 drive, it's faster than the SSD's (which are still very good speed) and new boards have M.2 ports. Intel has come out with Optane drives but I've heard that Samsung is going to have a "Z" drive later in 2018 that will be competing with those Optane drives.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

For SSD, something else than Samsung as I never recommend TLC drives. I would pick ADATA SX8000 M.2.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:22 AM

For SSD, something else than Samsung as I never recommend TLC drives. I would pick ADATA SX8000 M.2.

I do not know what Samsung's "Z" drive is as of yet because it is not on market to the general public, They state we might see this in mid-2018. Whether it is TLC memory or something else I do not know, but I would tend to think that if is going to compete with Intel's Optane drives, it may not be TLC, but something new.

I've never purchased and used an Adata SSD but I do have some of their USB drives and they are utterly junk

We were optimistic that ADATA's choice of the SMI SM2260 controller as part of the configuration used on the XPG SX8000 could change our opinion of the SM2260. Well, that certainly did not happen. Looking back at our benchmarks, it is easy to see that the XPG SX8000 is a low-end performer. The only drive that it is faster than is Intel's 600p, which is not saying much. The XPG SX8000 didn't win a single category of a single benchmark or even compete with the other drives in our test pool.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8220/adata-xpg-sx8000-512gb-2-nvme-pcie-ssd-review/index11.html

You can put lightweight wheels and race slicks on a Prius, but that still doesn't make it a performance car. The SX8000 uses advanced technology like SLC cache, LDPC, and optimized tuning for burst performance to deliver a usable product, but the controller and the flash are still the engines that drive SSDs. At the end of the day, if one of the two components is weak, the product suffers, and performance falls back to the level of the weakest link. An SLC buffer can mask some of that, but you can still tell the difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adata-sx8000-nvme-ssd,4959-3.html

Diving into its performance shows fairly uneven overall results, falling behind in many of our benchmarks. When looking at sequential 2MB performance, the SX8000 posted 1.49GB/s read and 986.65MB/s write, placing it at the bottom of the leaderboard among the NVMe drives

http://www.storagereview.com/adata_xpg_sx8000_pcie_m2_ssd_review

Of course any NVMe will out perform a sata SSD as it should

Edited by Joe C, 23 January 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:23 AM

I have one of those SX8000 drives.  I chose it over the Samsung 960 Evo because it was at the time, on sale, and IIRC was about £15-20 cheaper for the 256 Gb model.  It's not the fastest M.2 drive (that goes to the Samsung's I believe) but it's still pretty quick in the real world.  However, I would say a good SATA based SSD drive should be more than enough for most people.  There is a huge difference between running your OS off a decent SSD and even the fastest HDD, and it's very obvious.  The difference between SATA and PCIe/NVMe SSD's for the same use is less obvious IMO.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

One problem you're going to run into with a new motherboard centers around your processor.  Your processor is from the previous generation of AMD chipsets, so the best you can get is the 990FX, which is meant for people who overclock or otherwise stress their PC's, but is older.  To get a more modern chipset will involve going to the AMD Zen series of processors and use an X370 or B350 chipset.  Going to these chipsets will also allow you to an NVMe M.2 drive.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users