Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G71-340US Triple Boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

Thought I would post my new Triple Boot.  Works very well on this old, but in very good shape 17" Laptop.  Using KDE right now, and it never dissapoint's, so cool and full of fun things to use, and the "Eye Candy" as everyone calls it.  It's really the coolest Distro I've ever used and will be very sad when Linux Mint let's it die, because I like Mint's version best so far.  No good desktop pics yet, need to configure Conky, and will use the Conky Manager, but forget how to do it right now.

1. Windows 7

2. Mint KDE 17.2

3. Mint Mate 18.2

Here is a pic of the Partitioning from KDE Partition Editor, looks a little different than gparted, nice!

wI5Tb5u.png

work-4@work-4-HP-G71-Notebook-PC:~ > inxi -Fxz

System: Host: work-4-HP-G71-Notebook-PC Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)

Desktop: KDE 4.14.2 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP G71 Notebook PC version: Rev 1

Mobo: Quanta model: 306B version: 21.12 Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: F.14 date: 09/22/2009

CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6600 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3) bmips: 8777.64

Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz

Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0

X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz

GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes

Audio: Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0

Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller

driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0

IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>

Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 02:00.0

IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>

Drives: HDD Total Size: 352.1GB (7.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK3265GS size: 320.1GB

2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 32.0GB

Partition: ID: / size: 19G used: 5.6G (32%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 73G used: 287M (1%) fs: ext4

ID: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap

RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present

Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A

Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A

Info: Processes: 202 Uptime: 49 min Memory: 1365.3/3856.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4

Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17

work-4@work-4-HP-G71-Notebook-PC:~ >

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

pcpunk, nice job there! :)

From a couple of sources I read, although can't verify because am not that familiar with KDE, it can be added to most any Ubuntu based distro, to include Linux Line, even after they drop support for the DE.If by chance KDE isn't in the repos, you can most likely add a PPA or whatever to convert MATE 19 (when released) into KDE. You can likely download & install the current & past wallpapers as a .deb package, as I did for early Mint Gnome versions. 

In other words, you can still likely create your own Linux Mint 19 KDE, once MATE & Cinnamon becomes released. I'd choose MATE as the base, because Cinnamon already has it's own eye candy that may clash (or may not), I've not tried. What you could do (now), is install LM 17/18 MATE on a spare machine & try adding KDE, then see how it turns out. May be surprised at the outcome, as LInux distros are easily configurable, may need an article to guide you. :)

Good to see a Core 2 Duo computer still being used, LInux should run on these well for years to come! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

What you could do (now), is install LM 17/18 MATE on a spare machine & try adding KDE, then see how it turns out.

Good idea cat!  I wonder if this would be stable.  I tried this (switching DE's long time ago with not so good outcome) I'll google er up!  I have a whole year though LOL, so I think I will take my normal route and procrastinate till the end LOL.  I haven't even tried the new one yet lol.  If I do this I would want this old KDE (forget which version it is) and I don't know if that would port to the newer distro's.  I don't really like what I've heard about the new KDE.  I don't even like Kubuntu very well, I'm a picky bastard.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

I wanted to resurrect this thread so that I could clean up this Triple Boot install.

What I want to do is get rid of the silly EasyBCD Boot-Loader, because I now realize that I'll be better off just using grub2, well maybe, I don't know.  Right now I have a silly boot sequence that I don't like, though it does function I have to go through Two Boot-Loaders for Linux.  The first being the Windows Boot-Loader (Or EasyBCD I'm not sure) with all Three Operating Systems.  If I choose Windows 7 is goes right into Windows 7, but if I choose either Linux entry, it then sends me to Grub2, and I have to choose again what I want to boot out of all three Operating Systems, not the most efficient system.

Honestly, I think I just did something wrong during the setup, and did not take full advantage of the EasyBCD Boot-Loader.  I don't think I should be seeing Grub2 at all when using this EasyBCD, but again I did not prepare correctly I guess.  I guess I'll need to dig up the thread that showed what I did.  I'm pretty sure I was just installing Both Linux Boot-Loaders to the root of /dev/sda/, and then was hoping that they would both show up in the EasyBCD Boot Loader, but if I remember correctly, then second Linux Install was not recognized by EasyBCD.

Okay, just found my old Post where I was having issues with this, I'll link to it and continue on there I guess.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/660825/triple-boot-with-easybcd/

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:46 AM

You do not need anything but grub, You only need to install grub once with the first distro.

https://averagelinuxuser.com/install-linux-mint-without-a-bootloader/

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

I was able to get rid of EasyBCD finally, but would have liked to use it, I find the Interface more to my taste.  Or maybe it is just using the Microsoft Boot Loader I don't know.

I uninstalled EasyBCD and rebooted but it would not go away until I went into #2 KDE and reinstalled the linux boot loader to /dev/sda.  Now need to do a little more to get it how I like it.

I will read that article later Nick, got to go to work.  I brushed over it and it looks like what I need to read, thanks.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

You do not need anything but grub, You only need to install grub once with the first distro.

https://averagelinuxuser.com/install-linux-mint-without-a-bootloader/

I assume this also allows you to keep one distro as the Default Top of the List boot Option, which would be the last one that was installed with Boot Loader to /dev/sda.  Good stuff Nick, thanks again.  That site is well written and have bookmarked it!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Yes, you can also use Grub customizer to set it up how you want.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
Customizing Grub The Easy Way: Grub-customizer - LinuxAndUbuntu

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

Forgot about that one Nick, that's what I want!  Need to make things bigger, and it won't hurt to give them some color.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

So far Grub Customizer is not so good.  Custom Settings don't work.  Can't even change the Text Color.  What I've set it to be does not show in the actual Grub at boot.  I tried a Theme also from the web, and that was a waste of time.  At first I was thinking I would attempt to do this manually, and now am still thinking that would have been better.  I assume that I could have changed the Font Size and Color in the Grub Boot File without using the Customizer at all.  That's all I really wanted, larger Font and some Different Colors.  I was able to use a Wallpaper to as a background in Grub Customizer, so things are a little better looking now.

I wonder if some here have customized their Grub Menu?

I wonder if I can disable Grub Customizer, rather than uninstall it, to test out doing it manually?

Edited by pcpunk, 18 March 2018 - 07:52 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:02 AM

Forgot about that one Nick, that's what I want!  Need to make things bigger, and it won't hurt to give them some color.

This is OK, unless one (like in your pic) has a Windows install & an update forces reboot, then boots into whatever Linux install. :)

Which shouldn't mess up the update process, then again it may. As I understand it, with Grub Customizer, we can set any OS to be the first to boot, even Windows, although haven't bothered yet. Been awhile since I've used EasyBCD, since it doesn't work well (if at all) with UEFI systems. The developer needs to ship a new version that's fully UEFI compliant, even if it means coughing up the $99 to Microsoft for the key. :o

On the flip side, couldn't afford to give EasyBCD away any longer, would have charge $10 or so for a download that must be copied to 4-5 devices so that it won't get lost, he could make an extra source of income in that manner. He's a good developer, with every new Windows release (not to include W7 SP1, 8.1 & W10 releases after the first), would allow folks to download the Linux based WinRE rescue media for free during the first couple months after the OS is released. In other words, once a service or feature pack is installed, these ISO's are of no use. 

That's one reason why it's best to learn how to use Grub Customizer, after a quick search, found it to be the only way to change the boot sequence. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:50 AM

UEFI is easy  just put Linux above Windows in the list and grub takes over. all you might have to do is update grub.

In this screen shot Windows is in 0001 and Ubuntu is 0004

efibootmgr4.png

sudo efibootmgr –o 4,1

The –o says I want to change boot order then I just tell it what I want where.

And Cat doing it this way you dont get those double reboots, Grub boots first and gives you a choice of available operating systems, select the one you want and it boots the selected OS straight away, do nothing and the first OS in the list,

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

Grub Customizer is gone!  Good ridden's, no good documentation for the non-programmers to use.  There's more on how to Edit Grub, so I will use that method in the future, unfortunately wasted lot's of time with this "Customizer"  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:15 AM

The –o says I want to change boot order then I just tell it what I want where.

Nick, looks good to me! :thumbup2:

Will copy Terminal code with Notepad and place in folder on USB stick with a note for future usage. :)

Cat

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

As I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, it's a piece of cake to change boot order with the 'Pups'.

Our specially tweaked Grub4DOS auto loads whatever OS is at the top of the list after a delay of however many seconds you set it for.

To change this, open your 'menu.lst' (wherever it is on your system) with your favourite text editor, and just cut'n'paste to place whichever one you want at the top of the list.....then save it.

Easy-peasy! Takes about 30 seconds, all told.

--------------------------------

The other way is to boot into whichever Pup you want to start by default, then re-run the Grub4DOS Bootloader Config tool.....which automatically does what I outlined manually above.

I tried Grub Customiser when I was running Ubuntu a few years back, and I, too, could never get it to work properly. Certain things just are easier to 'fix' manually.....and it's often quicker, too!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 20 March 2018 - 07:22 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users