Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crackling sound coming from inside pc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Loonmario

Loonmario

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

Sometimes I hear a weird crackling sound coming from the top of my computer where the heatsink, cpu, and rear fan are located.  I can't really localize it.  I changed the power supply because I thought that was the most likely thing to make a electrical sound like that but I still hear it.  I just built the pc and it runs fine and the power supply is on the bottom of the case.  I used non-conductive thermal paste on the cpu.  There's no wires hitting any fans.  It's not coming from the hard drive which is a SSD that I used before.  Any thoughts?

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2018 - 01:49 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

Is there an regularity to the sound, as if a spark is jumping?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

Is there an regularity to the sound, as if a spark is jumping?

Sounds like it yeah.  Seems to happen 2-3 times a day.

Edited by Loonmario, 21 January 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

I ran into a similar problem many years back on a new build, it was driving crazy I could it but not see it.  Then I remembered finding a spark under the hood of my car by turning off the lights, it allowed me to see it.  Possibly by leaving the side cover off in complete darkness you will be able to pin point, you should try to view both sided of the board.  May be a waste of time but worth a try.

Pay particular attention to the areas around the capacitors.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 21 January 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#5 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

My room is pretty dark and I haven't seen any sparks from the front to the motherboard.  I haven't checked the back though.  I've confirmed it's not the cpu fan or the rear fan.  I'm about ready to take out the motherboard, install a different heatsink, and use washers behind the motherboard where the screws are.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Let us know how it goes.

#7 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

I can still hear it but upon closer observation it sounds more like plastic or metal contracting rather than electrical.  The new heatsink I installed is the same model Cooler Master Hyper T2 which has metal blades that are easily bendable.  Perhaps it's the metal contracting from the heat, that's my best guess right now. 

There's nothing more I can troubleshoot, I guess I'll just wait until something breaks if that even happens.  The pc runs fine so I won't worry anymore about it.

Edited by Loonmario, 21 January 2018 - 03:05 PM.

#8 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Ok now I can sometimes reproduce the sound.  While on Newegg.com I was refreshing some pages and could hear it 25% of the time.  The network plug might be making the sound.  I wonder if that is anything to worry about.  I changed the cable and still makes the sound.

Edit:  Now I think it's my video card XFX RX 460.  I changed to a wireless adapter and I still hear the clicking sound.  I ordered a RX 560 so I'll see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by Loonmario, 21 January 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#9 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

I'm going to rma my XFX Radeon RX 460 because it's making a clicking sound and was wondering if anyone has had recent experience with them.  If they question me about my power supply it's a Gold certified Corsair 550 watt because I have a feeling they will ask.  The box says 400 watt minimum required.

System specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1400

ASrock AB350 Pro 4

XFX Radeon RX 460 2GB

16GB (8GB x2) G.Skill DDR4 2400

Micron SSD

Corsair 550w Gold PSU

ASUS BD-ROM

ASUS Xonar DSX sound card

Edit:  I called XFX and they are sending me a new fan to see if that fixes the problem.  He said it's pretty easy to replace the fans and it won't void the warranty.  The guy on the phone was pretty nice, I guess I got nothing to worry about.

Edited by Loonmario, 22 January 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#10 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

Well I got the new video card MSI RX 560 today and installed it and the clicking sound is gone but I think I got a bad card.  I'm getting choppiness when scrolling web pages and for a second the screen went black.  This never happened with the XFX RX 460.  Looks like I'm going to have to return this MSI card.  I'm having such bad luck.  I bought another video card again, a Gigabyte RX 560 so I hope 3rd times a charm.  I'm getting so sick of this troubleshooting.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

Lets hope 3 is a charm!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users