Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Issues, Need Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hardtop4x4

hardtop4x4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667914/i-cant-access-my-pc/ - Hamluis.

Hello,

My desktop of 8+ years has gone into a cyclical blue screen issue. Says problem, gathers info and re-starts. Then goes into preparing to diagnose, then diagnoses, then shows "there is a problem with your PC and shows two buttons. One says RESTART (highlighted). The other ADVANCED OPTIONS (not highlighted).

Neither my mouse nor keyboard are active, so I am unable to toggle to ADVANCED OPTIONS. Re-starting would not do anything anyway other than to cycle through again.

My system started with Win 7 Home Pro. I took up MS Widows 10 offer last year. I have been using Advanced System Care for 2/3yrs and is the reason I found bleepingcomputers.com.

I have tried safe start (holding shift and the restart buttons until safe mode comes up) but no joy.

I am no longer computer savvy. Had no cause to keep up from the 'old days as' plug 'n play etc been so good these past years. Even used to adjust BIOS settings years ago - not now!

Seems to me I have a terminal PC failure, but any help getting to safe mode etc would be great. 

Any advise as to getting my keyboard and mouse working would be good too.

Cheers all, hardtop4x4 

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2018 - 01:48 PM.
Split - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

Since you can't use a keyboard or mouse I don't see how you are going to do what Louis has suggested.  I'm guessing that you have another computer you are using to post here, or have access to one?

Eight years is a long life for a computer.  Components tend to breakdown or just fail when they get this old.  I wouldn't be surprised to see bulging and leaking electrolytic capacitors or evidence of a failing hdd.

Can you boot into the BIOS?  If you can boot into the BIOS you can change the boot order which will allow you to boot from a bootable DVD/CD disc which you would need to run processes like a Reset.

What is the make and model of this computer?

If you have access to another computer you can download a Windows 10 ISO file which can be used to create installation media.  With the installation media you can run a Reset from the installation disc.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  This will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

dc3 is totally correct that it's seen it's better days. There's a long shot you can try by clearing the capacitors. Unplug it and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, plug it back in and try again.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

dc3 is totally correct that it's seen it's better days. There's a long shot you can try by clearing the capacitors. Unplug it and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, plug it back in and try again.

Power cycling the caps will not really do anything.  If the caps are bulging or leaking or both they are failing.  Replacing the caps is the only solution to this.  Personally... I believe it's time for a new computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

I knew it was a long shot but the only thing I coudl think of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users