Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows 10 is version 15063, is it outdated?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

My desktop computer has Win 10 and its version is 15063. Is it totally outdated? I saw the latest version is 16299.

How do I update from 15063 to 16299?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

It should update through Windows Update.Where did you get this copy of Windows 10?

#3 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

I first bought the computer as a legit windows 8.1 then upgraded it to windows 10.

Currently, my Windows Update doesn't work anymore. I tried the commands solution but it didn't work. I dont know what else to do. Checking update is stuck for me

#4 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

FreeBooter had a .bat file that will repair windows update.You could try looking for it on Google.He posts on Bleeping Computer so he is trustworthy.Sometimes if you delete C/Windows/SoftwareDistribution windows update will work again.If all else fails you could install the latest version of Windows 10.I would try deleting the software distribution folders first.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,282 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

You can also follow the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  That's how I force updates on systems where Windows Update has gone wonky.  It generally fixes the Windows Update issue(s), too.

By the way, and it's not hair splitting, your Build Number is 15063, not your Version Number, which would be 1703 with that Build Number.  You're only one major feature update (AKA Version Update) away from current, which is Version 1709, Build 16299.

Edited by britechguy, 20 January 2018 - 03:55 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

Brian would he be able to keep all his info even though his copy of Windows is so old using the ISO? Asking because I have no idea.

#7 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Sorry I missed the build number ignore my last post.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,282 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Brian would he be able to keep all his info even though his copy of Windows is so old using the ISO? Asking because I have no idea.

Even though you followed this up with an "ignore," it's a good question.

Yes, you can keep your apps and data any time you use the ISO update method.  I had two laptops that arrived with Version 1511 loaded on them and I went straight to Version 1709 via the ISO method.  Had I been smart I would have just done a completely clean install, as this would have nuked the "bloatware" and I didn't do any major configuration and software installation until after I did the upgrade.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

If I have a problem that is a total nightmare to fix I use my backups or clean install making sure I have all my software licences for any paid software in order.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,282 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

If I have a problem that is a total nightmare to fix I use my backups or clean install making sure I have all my software licences for any paid software in order.

There are so, so many reasons that taking regular backups, both system image (when major software installation/removal is done and/or lots of new user data is generated) and user data (when the system itself has been relatively static), is the best way to avoid heartaches of many kinds.  

The external backup drives are also a lot cheaper than the cost of data recovery from a single HDD.

Get an external backup drive and backup, backup, backup!!  

~ Brian Vogel

#11 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

I use the Windows 10 update assistance: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

and I manage to download the latest version of Win 10 and I can update

Can  a mod close this thread?

#12 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Glad to see you fixed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users