Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Tray Ejecting At Startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

When I boot my Windows 10 computer my CD tray ejects/opens and stays open until i push it closed.

I did a fresh/clean windows 10 install only 4 days ago.....aside from the windows 10 OS all i have loaded onto the computer so far is Firefox web browser and my canon printer software.

I have done all windows 10 and windows defender updates, everything is currently up to date.

this same problem occurred before i did the clean install (but that was not the reason why i did it) and i thought it would go away after the clean install.....it didn't happen right away, it took a few days of starting up and shutting down before it occurred.

I also get a popup at startup asking for a CD (refer to picture)....the white background you see is my file explorer window which also pops up in the background but it is completely blank, just white and shows no files.

i have disabled all programs at startup except windows defender, and disabled all non-microsoft services.

other then this little "bug" the computer runs perfectly

any ideas what would be causing this?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pic1.jpg   325.91KB   1 downloads

Edited by mikey11, 20 January 2018 - 09:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

what does your device manager say? have you tried updating the drivers for the device?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

what does your device manager say? have you tried updating the drivers for the device?

just tried and it says the best driver is already installed....

funny thing is, the problem is intermittent....it doesn't do it EVERY time i start the computer, maybe half the time.....also, it NEVER does it if i restart the computer from the on screen power options.....only happens if i completely shut the system down, then power on from the power button

Edited by mikey11, 20 January 2018 - 03:07 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

What happens when you disable Fast Startup then do a complete shutdown at the command prompt

powercfg.exe /hibernate off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hi, if John's suggestion doesn't fix your problem I have seen this before many years ago, it was caused by faulty filters.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator"

Copy all the cmd below and right click anywhere in the command prompt window, select paste, the cmd will append to the prompt.

Press enter. Please copy paste the notepad output here.

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /s > 0 & notepad 0

Edited by jenae, 20 January 2018 - 06:20 PM.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:34 AM

Hi, if John's suggestion doesn't fix your problem I have seen this before many years ago, it was caused by faulty filters.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator"

Copy all the cmd below and right click anywhere in the command prompt window, select paste, the cmd will append to the prompt.

Press enter. Please copy paste the notepad output here.

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /s > 0 & notepad 0

Ahh, the old upper and lower filters issue. Weird that it's still there after all these years !!

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

thanks i will try all the suggestions......

this morning when i booted up, the CD ejected again and stayed open....but this time i didn't get any pop up on the screen :smash:

#8 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

What happens when you disable Fast Startup then do a complete shutdown at the command prompt

this seems to have fixed it, for the past 2 days anyway

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

If I was Microsoft I would disable Fast Startup by default. Fast Startup seems to cause more problems than what it's worth. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users