Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Synology NAS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dannii2017

Dannii2017

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

Hi everyone

I am trying to connect my desktop to the NAS Network that I have connected.

Initially I had trouble trying to connect my desktop to WiFi using the USB Wi-Fi adapter. I then shared internet connection using my laptop using Ethernet cable to the desktop. I am now trying to connect to my NAS using the desktop. I can access it on laptop via wireless but not on desktop.

Can anyone advise please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdminPower

AdminPower

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Can you give a bit more detail of how everything is connected currently. I assume the NAS is on the same network as the desktop and laptop and is connected with an ethernet cable to your router or to a network switch. Are you just trying to browse to it with SMB or are you trying to use something else like FTP to access the NAS?

#3 Dannii2017

Dannii2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

Sure. I have the NAS connected to the Router. My laptop is connected to that via wi-fi. I have an ethernet cable connected from my laptop to the desktop which only has internet connection via USB Network adaptor which gives rubbish connection hence connecting to the laptop.

I can see the NAS on my laptop, but not the desktop. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Dannii

#4 AdminPower

AdminPower

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

I think that the issue is that you're desktop is on a separate network that is being created when you setup the internet connection sharing. If you were to plug the desktop (while I realize this may not be feasible) into the router via ethernet you would be able to see the NAS. Have you tried browsing to the NAS directly via it's IP address from the desktop instead of looking for it under the near-by devices / network browser?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users