Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted folder in Thunderbird 'Local Folders' keeps recurring .. double

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

Hi. Whilst I like Thunderbird a great deal, I agree (as commented upon in other threads) support is woeful, and instructions / manuals are worse, as they assume knowledge many users would NOT have.

My problem; on this, my W10 laptop, I also use Thunderbird and created a folder in which to transfer / store important emails I have on my Linux computer (also Thunderbird).

I decided to create that folder in Local Folders' but before I put anything in it, I changed my mind and just wanted to delete it.

But I can't delete it .. or rather, every time I do, it comes back next start up of TB, in fact, often two copies come up. I have tried everything, including changing that folders name, but can't do it.

Initially, I had given it a long name, and I suspect that might be the problem. Or not.

Anyway, how to delete it please?

Also, how do I navigate with file explorer, to the actual TB folder where all emails are kept ?

PLEASE keep replies suited to a dummy, and please don't assume I know acronyms, etc.

Thanks.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:04 AM

G'day mate, good to hear from you.

Is there any chance that the emails you speak of originate from your gmail account ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 708 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:35 AM

Hi Condobloke. Good to hear from you too.

No, the folder was / is. completely empty. As I said above, I never put anything in it.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

guess I didnt read that carefully enough...

try repairing the folder first...then attempt the delete

1. With the right mouse button, click on the folder you want to repair in Mozilla Thunderbird.
  2. Select Properties… from the menu that appears.
  3. Go to the General Information tab.
  4. Click Repair Folder.
  5. Click OK.

if no luck...try putting something in the folder....something you can afford to lose...open and close it a few times....then try the delete process again.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

Have tried all that, over and over. To no avail.

The damn folder keeps re-appearing.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

Open gmail...click on the gear icon out on the top rhs......then click on settings....

The second heading across the top should be "Labels" ...click on that....

At the bottom of that page you will see similar to the pic below....

labels.png

.....out on the rhs under actions ...the remove button there should give you some joy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Hi cb, just before I try that, what does this have to do with gmail ?

It is Thunderbird (Mozilla) that I'm talking 'bout here>

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

yeah ok....I am off with the pixies this morning !!!.....I will keep digging !

I am in the process of handling a similar problem on another forum....the wires got crossed !!

Edited by Condobloke, 21 January 2018 - 08:48 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

ok....try this...

1. Tools> Account Settings
  2. In left pane, select Server Settings
  3. Select "Remove it immediately" from the drop-down menu next to "When I delete a message." Click OK.
  4. Delete your folder by right-clicking on it and choosing Delete.
  5. When you're finished, immediately go back in and change the delete option back to "Move it to the Trash folder" (important!). If you don't change it back to this setting, all of your messages will be deleted permanently when you delete them, instead of just being moved to the Trash

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Thanks. Even before I tried that, I've managed to delete it. Not thru any know how on my part .. I'm as big a dummy as ever, , but by dogged persistence.

Here's how;

- In Thunderbird email, I minimized all email addresses / accounts.

-'Local Folders'  was showing last on that list.

- I right clicked, selected properties. A huge path name appeared in one of the fields.

- I copied it, went to file explorer, pasted it in, and got to the location where all content of Local Folders was stored.

- There, i found not one, not two, but SIX versions of the offending folder .. all with slightly different, but obviously corrupted extensions.

- Nuked them all !!!

Problem solved. It seems one was a 'main' but corrupt version of the folder, and kept generating the others.

Weird, but that's why I asked about help to navigate to the actual folder in my OP - because I suspected as such, having distant memories of something similar occurring to me in Windows Outlook Express years ago.

Anyway condobloke, thank you for your effort.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

All good...glad you solved it and left the solution for others to follow .

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users