Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange behavior from desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joshbull623

joshbull623

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

Computer is a Dell Desktop with 6th gen i5, 16gb ram, 500gb 7200 SataIII, & gt 730 video card. Used just for surfing the web, email, and youtube videos and runs like a dream for the most part. The computer belongs to a friend who said it was getting pop ups he could not exit out of and warnings of malware. He said he reset windows using Windows 10 'reset this pc' option and that seemed to fix the problem very briefly then it started happening again, computer bogged down, pop ups you cant click out of, malware warnings urging to download software to remove it. 

Sounds like a classic malware issue. He brings it to my house, without connecting it to my network, from a usb I install and run malwarebytes and run it, doesn't find anything. I install avast and run a boot time scan(allows Avast to detect and remove hard to detect viruses before the operating system starts up) nothing detected again. I do a factory reset using the recovery dell put in place wiping everything and basically as stated bringing it to the state it was in when it left the factor/bought it. 

Works fine for me, give it back to my friend, couple hours later he emails me saying its happening again. He brings it back over the next day after shutting it off from that point, I cannot replicate the problem at my house however, regardless I make sure he has up to date antivirus, no viruses again, his windows 10 is completely updated and run it for a couple hours surfing the web and playing youtube and nothing happens out of the ordinary. I even downloaded chrome(he was using edge) and installed avast web security, a good pop up blocker, and https everywhere and sent him on his way. 

Few hours later get an email, same thing happens but worse 
"When I turned the computer on, it went to program compatibility troubleshoot. I went to yahoo mail and facebook. Then I tried to go on gmail. I typed my screen name but every time I tried to put my password in I would get a crazy popup. I had gotten another crazy looking popup prior to that. About the 10th time of trying to put my password in, I got a malware notice. It would not let me X out so I shut it off."

Scratching my head here but I think maybe his home network could be compromised? His desktop runs off wifi by the way and it also has bluetooth active so maybe neighbors are screwing with him? Not sure what to think, everything is clean, runs smooth, and fine at my house. It has been wiped a couple times now, deep scans dun that Ive never not seen detect something if its there, and I have never first hand seen this issue. I am going to go to his place next to check his home networking situation but any thoughts at all? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

GFL

I'd shut down as many variables as possible and start at the router to be sure the wireless connection is secure. Change usernames and passwords as you go and scan, scan, scan. I like the on-line scanners for things like this.

keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

If a factory reset of this operating system was run it should have taken care of any malware or other infections.  I would be interested to see the results of SeaTools for DOS scan, this could be a problem with the mass storage device.

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, earlier versions do not have this option.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 21 January 2018 - 11:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users