Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[GSOD] SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION during login.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phaaze

Phaaze

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

Problem:

When attempting to start my computer, it boots to the login screen as expected. However, if I try to login, it will GSOD immediately upon hitting <enter>. If I wait, it will GSOD after about 20 seconds.

Background:

I enabled tech previews several months ago, but recently had some issues with applications not working so I did a rollback and disabled the tech previews. Somehow though, they got reenabled automatically and when I ran Windows Update it put the latest tech release back on my system. I hadn't gotten around to removing it again before this happen.

That said, it's been working fine since the tech release was reinstalled. This morning, I was watching a TV show on my computer while eating breakfast (not touching the system) when all of a sudden the video froze and upon inspection the system was lagging to the point of it taking upwards of 30-60 seconds to register a hover event or mouse click. I ended up having to hold the power button in to reboot the system. When the system came back on, it looked like it was working fine until I typed my password and hit enter... that's when I got the first GSOD as described in the problem above.

What I've Tried:

• Safe Mode, GSOD continues to happen at login or after about 20 seconds on the login screen.
  • Windows Automatic Startup Repair, was unable to repair anything.
  • sfc /scannow was unable to find any issues.
  • Unplugged all accessories except my Logitech Unifying Device for my wireless mouse/keyboard.
  • Removed my GPUs, switched to the on-board graphics.
  • Reset motherboard UEFI to factory default settings.
  • Using the Advanced Startup Repair options, I tried to do a rollback... it failed.
  • Using the Advanced Startup Repair options, I tried to do a system restore... no restore points exist.
  • To verify that it's a software issue, I installed a new HDD, installed Windows, and it did boot and I was able to log in successfully.

My working theory:

The system may have been trying to install an update in the background which caused the GPU drivers to crash which may have lead to the lag/unresponsive behavior. I then forcefully shutdown the system, which if it was doing an update in the background, may have corrupt service-related files.

Requested Information:

· System Manufacturer: Custom build
          · Exact model number (if laptop, check the label on bottom): N/A
        · OS - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, or Vista? Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit. Unsure of the build number, but it was the latest insider build as of about a week ago.
        · x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit): 64-bit
        · What was original installed OS on system: Windows 10 Pro
        · Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer): I bought it on ebay under the impression that it was retail, but I've sense been lead to believe it may be an OEM version. Uncertain at this point.
        · Age of the computer (hardware): Varies, it's been upgraded a few times.
        · Age of OS installation - and whether you have re-installed the OS: Last fresh install was probably a year ago, though uncertain.

· Laptop or Desktop computer: Desktop
               · CPU: i7 6700k
               · Video Card: Two 1080Ti FTWs
                 If Desktop please also include:
                      · MotherBoard: ASUS Z270-WS
                      · Power Supply: EVGA 850W

Other Information:

Upon contacting Microsoft, their only suggestion was to do a custom install... thus deleting all of my apps and system settings, but being able to copy my files from Windows.old post-install.

This isn't ideal as I do a lot of web development and it'd take forever to get my environment set back up and working properly. So I'm really hoping to find a way to isolate the issue and use a live environment/USB or something to fix whatever may be causing this. I was able to retrieve a few minidumps, so hopefully they can be used to help isolate the issue...

Attached Files

Edited by Phaaze, 19 January 2018 - 09:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

We have nothing much to do here. There's a bug in 17063 in the new registry.exe process that stores registry hive data in it for better performance that (I believe) has been fixed in the next build. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and seeing whether if you can login there? I've heard some rumors that disabling virtualization/disabling ACPI HPET table in the BIOS could help; care to try that?

Edited by bwv848, 19 January 2018 - 10:26 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Phaaze

Phaaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

What I've Tried:

• Safe Mode, GSOD continues to happen at login or after about 20 seconds on the login screen.
  • Windows Automatic Startup Repair, was unable to repair anything.
  • sfc /scannow was unable to find any issues.
  • Unplugged all accessories except my Logitech Unifying Device for my wireless mouse/keyboard.
  • Removed my GPUs, switched to the on-board graphics.
  • Reset motherboard UEFI to factory default settings.
  • Using the Advanced Startup Repair options, I tried to do a rollback... it failed.
  • Using the Advanced Startup Repair options, I tried to do a system restore... no restore points exist.
  • To verify that it's a software issue, I installed a new HDD, installed Windows, and it did boot and I was able to log in successfully.

I'll check to see what the default values for those BIOS options are in the morning, not holding my breath on them though. :(

Edited by Phaaze, 19 January 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,971 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

So sorry for not reading your post carefully, it's an old habit of mind! :rolleyes:

Edited by bwv848, 19 January 2018 - 10:41 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Phaaze

Phaaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

Also note that I'm not certain about my "working theory", so if there are any other theories on what might have happen or ways to allow me to get back into Windows without crashing... I'd love to hear them.

#6 Phaaze

Phaaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Alright, so the virtualization is disabled by default... I can't find any option to enable/disable ACPI HPET, any idea what it might be listed under/as on an Asus board?

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,971 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

If you don't see it, then it doesn't exist — it's virtualization OR HPET. :) All I can really suggest is to reinstall the OS, I'm out of ideas. Do you have any backups to restore from?

Edited by bwv848, 20 January 2018 - 12:42 PM.

#8 Phaaze

Phaaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

As in a restore point or system image, no. I did throw a 4TB HDD in it that I had lying around, installed Windows, and am copying all of my files from the SSD onto it to ensure I don't lose any files. Unfortunately though, that doesn't address the concern of losing my dev environment which takes months of tweaking to really get to what I feel comfortable with it.

I REALLY don't want to reinstall, but I'm at a loss for ideas as well... which is why I came here, hoping one of you genius' had a grand idea. :'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users