I am having some recurrent issues with BSODs. They seem to be mostly related to ntoskrnl.exe, although the Bug Check String in BlueScreenView can be a variuety of things, mostly memory related.
Now, I have already went through some extensive (IMO...) trying to fix this, but noting seems to do it. I can get a week, maybe even 2 free of BSODs, and then they'd happen again. Last one (which is attached here) happened as I was trying to customize the OSD from MSI Afterburner. Ran GPU-Z and tried to start the rendering just so I have some 3D app to see the OSD, and it got stuck on Loading. I told Windows to close it, and while it tried to do that, when it was "collecting info" or something the PC BSODed... well, not even a full BSOD, as it just froze and seeing the HDD going off I already knew it was saving a dump. After the reboot, yup, bugcheck in Event Viewer. The bugcheck before this (which I guess got deleted) was from Assassin's Creed: Origins. The game is somewhat adept at crashing. In fact, the vast majority of BSODs were during gaming. The last one was quite exceptional occurring with this GPU-Z crash.
What I did trying to fix this:
- reinstall Windows 10
- avoid installing anything other than the barebones applications; Adobe PS/Illustator, Kaspersky Internet Security, Office are just a few apps I am sadly missing just in attempting to fix the BSODs
- ran memtest86 a number of times, must be like 4 times now, 3 times with the regular 4, and 2 days ago I left it for 8 loops. Nothing, all is fine...
- tried a number of torture tests on the PC, prime, AIDA64, some Kombustor for the GPU... nothing...
- ran Driver Verifier for everything but Microsoft drivers, I think I tried this for days - couldn't get ONE, single BSOD out of it. I even went and played Assassin's Creed: Origins with the horrific stuttering 10-70 fps jumping all over the place, and couldn't extract a BSOD in hours.
- reinstalled Windows 10 (again...)
- tried my best to keep things as default as they can be
- updated the hell out of anything, including some DDU Nvidia reinstalls from Safe Boot
- updated BIOS with the latest that is supposed to contribute to fixing Meltdown/Spectre
- cleared CMOS, ran optimized defaults for a while, then changed to UEFI, which was OK for many days now
- checked HDD with surface scan from both HD Tune and chkdsk
- sfc /scannow, dism, nothing is ever corrupted...
- reseated RAM, CPU, GPU, cables... even SATA and the HDD, everything
The power supply is a Zalman 700W GV, which while not ideal obviously, is what I have. Sacrifices had to be made for the 1070ti/8700K combo. It should provide more than enough power to the components, including the GPU, and it does seems to do it as stress testing is just fine. I think the rest of the specs should be addressed by Speccy:
The PC is clean&cool. No throttling or thermal issues.
In case I might have forgot anything, please let me know. Did my best to provide as many details as possible.