Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware with decryption key

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 mick-2018

mick-2018

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Hi Guys,

I am in college working on a project, malware related.

I am looking for a malware sample with the original decryption key (from attackers)

that doesn't work (or partially worked) in decrypting the local files.

I want to research why decryption key doesn't work,

it is bad code, old OS, etc.

Any suggestion/link where can get a sample with the key from?

Thanks.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

While I understand you may have good reasons to look for specific malware samples, Bleeping Computer is not the place to ask for assistance on how to obtain them.

One of the primary goals of Bleeping Computer is to assist victims of malware infection with removal and to prevent the spread of malicious programs, not encourage them. Therefore, we will not provide links to malware samples or malicious sites where infections have been contracted and spread. Others reading this topic may use the information for nefarious purposes or an unwitting novice user may accidentally click a link and end up infecting their own computer.

Below are a few comments from our security experts and Administrators.

Bleeping Computer's main mission is to help people rid their computers of malware not infect them. For legal and liability purposes we do not endorse or permit the sharing of malware samples via the forums. There are plenty of 'in the wild' samples available by using unsafe browsing tactics.

The main goal of BleepingComputer is to help users resolve various computer problems, not to distribute malware samples for whatever purpose. Requesting and/or providing links to live malware or live malware samples does not fall under that objective and is for that reason not something we allow or encourage.

Before anything a general warning, never try to test/try out malware samples if you don't know what you're doing! The risk of inadvertently infecting another computer or a host computer is always present...testing malware samples with different security products is not very productive in my opinion. You would indeed need a site that is actively dropping the infection (which is hard to find, they are usually cleaned/taken off-line as soon as the malicious behavior is observed and reported). Downloading and dropping specific files isn't the same and doesn't give a good representation of how a "real" infection enters a system.

Warez and crack sites are a good source and should only be used from a virtual machine. That's the best information and most specific information we can provide.

For those and other obvious reasons, we are not going to provide more specific information in a public forum. There are a number of sites which specialized in malware samples where questions like yours can be asked. You can register at Hybrid Analysis, MALWR Analysis and VirusShare. If looking for crypto malware (file encrypting ransomware) and related files, you can also try contacting the MalwareHunterTeam directly or via Twitter.

Thanks for understanding.

This topic is closed.
The BC Staff

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users