Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira pop up referring to game website

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eszy

Eszy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

Hi! I'm using the Avira free anti virus and it always shows a pop up every other day to try to make you upgrade to the paid version. Yesterday the pop up looked kinda weird, it didn't show the usual "Upgrade now or your pc will die" ad, but it was white like the image hadn't loaded and just showed like a black 'x' to close (it did have the logo and the usual design of the pop up). I clicked the 'x' and suddenly chrome opened a website for a game called World of Warships. The game seems to be real and the website seems legit as well, but I just can't imagine Avira advertising that. 

I've used AdwCleaner, TDSSKiller and the Eset online scanner, they all came up clean. There's no weird software installed that I don't know. Avira settings are still the same as I put them. It has also been the only weird pop up I've had and haven't had a pop up today. The Avira upgrade pop up is every two days, so that seems to work as normal as well. Laptop still works as usual, it's literally just that weird ad that has me worried. I'm using Windows 10.

I'm not sure what to think of this...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Sounds like your FREE Avira is doing a different advertising than just Avira. The scans you ran would of found something, otherwise.

You can uninstall two Avira programs if they are on your computer..... “Avira Phantom VPN” and “Avira System Speedup” tools.

You may be getting nag ads from those, too..

You can look for two browser extensions that are not needed....

In Chrome, click the menu and select More Tools > Extensions. Click the trash can icon next to Avira Browser Safety to remove it.

In Firefox, click the menu button and select “Add-ons”. Click the “Remove” button to the right of Avira Browser Safety on the Extensions tab.

Edited by buddy215, 19 January 2018 - 08:23 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for your reply! Since that moment I've only had ads I'm used to. Checked for the progams and extentions you mentioned, none of them are on my laptop. Thanks for your help though!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

You're welcome....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 BCHelper

BCHelper

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:02 AM

Hi,

Both described Ad's messages are unrelated to Avira, seems to be some scare tactics of rough advertisement. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users